GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Quote Originally Posted by MTM View Post
    It's open it draws air from the engine bay
    It does not draw air from under the hood. It is a COLD AIR INTAKE. it and the original intake draws air from a hole in the radiator support. A hole that is behind the right headlight.

I don't know if you have/had a restriction, or not, but I suggested that you look for an restriction in the old thread, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...#axzz26DAzginx you blew me off and opened a second thread. And, I see, with a little searching, that this is thread #3 http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...#axzz26DAzginx

You changed the radiator and now it appears to be ok, you probably removed whatever was restricting the air flow when you changed the radiator.

If someone else changed the radiator, you may never know what was causing the problem; but, at least, you could have taken a look to see if there was an restriction, instead of arguing with people trying to help you.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Wasn't blowing you off at all. I changed the radiator and MAF sensor at the same time. Just don't see what could be blocking it there's nothing around my intake

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100MEDIA$IMAG0099.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	43829
    2000 Chevy Silverado 4WD Classic
    2'' lift Torsion Keys and air shocks
    33/12.50 Hankook Dynapro M/T
    3 1/2'' down pipe back 6" Tip
    Dodge Towing Mirrors
    Smoked Tails, Cab Lights, and Side Marker Lights
    1% Rear and Side Window, 20% Front Tint
    American Racing Wheels/ With a custom black paint
    Cold Air Intake
    Edge Performance Chip
    Custom Audio System
    LED Tails
    Black background headlights and parking lights

Ok, explaining that and providing this pic might have helped you a couple of threads ago.

That does not look to be installed in the correct location. The idea of a cold air intake is to get air that is not inside the engine compartment.
    The opening of the CIA needs to face a hole in the radiator support. When you close the hood, you are closing off the air intake.

Look where the old intake was mounted, there should be a hole in the radiator support. You need to move your CIA to that hole, so the intake can breathe

Nope that's how it's supposed to be you can look on all these old bodies that's how they mount. The factory one with the closed in box used to suck from the inner fender. Sorry but you can't tell me it doesn't breath because you can hear the large amount of air getting sucked in.

Still you need to check if the stock intake is blocked in anyway because the CAI if pulling air from there as well and at idle the fan doesn't draw as much air but at speed it does. That's the point @RayVoy is trying to make. the factory air intake tube in the fender that leads to the front of the truck behind the right park light.
    Here's a picture:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	air-intake-system-tc0303501.png 
Views:	113 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	43830

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Thanks for all the input. I figured it out the dealership put the MAF sensor in backwards I pulled it all apart just now and flipped it over and it was backwards

that sucks. they even put a direction arrow on those usually. hopefully that fixes it all.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Yea I would've done it myself but the autoparts store would have taken a week to get in and i needed it that day. Runs perfect now thanks everyone. This forum is a big help

At least it was something simple. That's an interesting effect from the MAF sensor being reversed; I'd have expected it to run like crap with the hood open as well as when shut...

Me to. That's what was so crazy about all this is it ran great and never had a problem with the performance aspect. Like i said above breaking 33's loose wasn't a problem it was just at idle.(Just to note I don't burnout but does walk a little when it down shifts to pass someone)