GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Need everyones help ~ Idling Issues

Alright I posted this questions a few weeks ago and got some feedback but need help. I an still having idle issues. Makes no sense to me when the hood is open it idles perfect tgen you close the hood it wants to die. Never has died all the way but it wants to. Other than this have no other issues. Need any thoughts possible
    2000 Chevy Silverado 4WD Classic
    2'' lift Torsion Keys and air shocks
    33/12.50 Hankook Dynapro M/T
    3 1/2'' down pipe back 6" Tip
    Dodge Towing Mirrors
    Smoked Tails, Cab Lights, and Side Marker Lights
    1% Rear and Side Window, 20% Front Tint
    American Racing Wheels/ With a custom black paint
    Cold Air Intake
    Edge Performance Chip
    Custom Audio System
    LED Tails
    Black background headlights and parking lights

Sounds like your engine compartment isn't breathing. If your air intake is drawing air from the compartment, and the hood is closed (and seals tight), you'll restrict air intake.

Check to see if the hole in your air filter box is restricted in any way, and make sure the air path to the intake box (usually at a fender or something) hasn't been filled up with debris or otherwise.

One last thing... are your fans working?

-Skippy
    2006 Vortec Max 1500
    Performance:
    -Custom Tune (389HP 440 Ft/lbs Trq - Dyno'd) | Volant CAI | Magnaflow Dual-in/out Exhaust w/3" stainless pipe tips | Fully Built Transmission w/ Red Eagle Clutches & Kolene Steels w/ Corvette Servos and Stage2 Shift Kit | 35K Tranny Cooler | Mobil 1 | Royal Purple Rear Diff
    Other:
    -Spray-in Bed Liner
    -Premium Sound w/lifetime Satellite Radio | Leather | Sunroof | Heated Seats
    -Limbstriping from USING the truck (those are badges of honor)

I understand where Skippy's coming from but I think there should be enough air coming from underneath the truck to allow it to run, I mean unless you have a sealed engine bay this shouldnt be a problem.
    But on a longshot here have you run the truck at night with no light sources? Maybe lower the hood partially and watch for arcing coming from the ignition components? Maybe somethings not sealed properly or incorrectly grounding on the hood via arcing?

Here's my recent upgrades persay. I have a cold air...spectre. I was having power issues traced it to the MAF sensor so replaced that then I went ahead and changed the radiator while I had all that apart. Seemed to run fine but now I'm just lost for thoughts. Hope this helps
    Dodge Towing Mirrors
    Cold Air Intake
    Edge Performance Chip
    Custom Audio System
    LED Tails

Loose wire(s) into the MAF? Wires into MAF positioned in such a way that when the hood comes down it makes contact with them (part time or completely) and affects its operation? Hood coming down on a wire causing a short, somewhere?

Is the Spectre cold air box a closed style system, i.e. uses the hood to seal the box from the engine compartment while a supply tube draws air from outside the truck?
    If so then like Skippy posted this could be your problem and you need to check the inlet tube to the box for restrictions

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    I understand where Skippy's coming from but I think there should be enough air coming from underneath the truck to allow it to run, I mean unless you have a sealed engine bay this shouldnt be a problem.
    But on a longshot here have you run the truck at night with no light sources? Maybe lower the hood partially and watch for arcing coming from the ignition components? Maybe somethings not sealed properly or incorrectly grounding on the hood via arcing?
    Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    Loose wire(s) into the MAF? Wires into MAF positioned in such a way that when the hood comes down it makes contact with them (part time or completely) and affects its operation? Hood coming down on a wire causing a short, somewhere?

this is where I what I was originally thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    Sounds like your engine compartment isn't breathing. If your air intake is drawing air from the compartment, and the hood is closed (and seals tight), you'll restrict air intake.

Check to see if the hole in your air filter box is restricted in any way, and make sure the air path to the intake box (usually at a fender or something) hasn't been filled up with debris or otherwise.

One last thing... are your fans working?

-Skippy
    Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    Is the Spectre cold air box a closed style system, i.e. uses the hood to seal the box from the engine compartment while a supply tube draws air from outside the truck?
    If so then like Skippy posted this could be your problem and you need to check the inlet tube to the box for restrictions

These make sense too.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

It's open it draws air from the engine bay
    The fan clutch looks fine.
    Dodge Towing Mirrors
    Cold Air Intake
    Edge Performance Chip
    Custom Audio System
    LED Tails

Sr. Engineer

Is there a vacume hose being displaced as the hood is closed causing it to open up and leak? Does it drive OK on the road?
    2000 GMC YUKON SLT, 5.3L tow pkg, G80 rear/w 3.73 gear

No nothing is in the way at all. And yea that's what is so crazy it runs awesome. Give you an idea I can go to pass someone and it downshifts and tries to get sideways and I'm on 33's. Fuel mileage is normal everything seems perfect but can't figure this out at all
    Dodge Towing Mirrors
    Cold Air Intake
    Edge Performance Chip
    Custom Audio System
    LED Tails