GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Default 2012 silverado engine and tranny issues?

Does anyone else out there with a brand new 1500 have any issues with the 5.3 mated with the 6 speed transmission? The transmission shifts erraticly, clunks going in and out of gear, and the engine chatters on take off, runs rougher than hell I can watch the tach float all over at an intersection and while maintaining speed, and it acts like it wants to stall. Just curious because the dealer told me that's how all new trucks are supposed to be. I know that's not true but I would love feedback. Oh, it's only got 2800 miles on it.
    Andy
    05 Silverado 1500 Z71 Until 6/5/12

Straight Pipe Dual Exhaust
    LED Third Brake Light
    Ram Air Cowl Induction Hood
    Edelbrock Shorty Headers
    DeBadged

Well searching for a gear is common for the six speed learned that after renting a 2012 Suburban in Las Veges on the free way at 75-80 it was constantly trying to decide whether to be in 5th or 6th this was on a total flat in the desert. That's why the tach is fluxing at speed not sure about why it is at idle. I got nothing for the chattering well at rest might be one of the new AFM(active fuel management systems that is trying to save gas. If you have another dealer near by that's not the one that keeps saying its normal ask them. No matter what may be the issue the truck is under warranty.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Chattering coencides with power loss at acceleration, acts like it wants to stall. Gear searching did enter my mind seeing as it mainly does it under 45 mph through towns and villages, unfortunately that only explains the erratic shifting. Thanks for the input, it certainly helps.

Is there any code being thrown? Also I say bring it to another GM shop the one you bought it from may not help you but another should, if they don't either contact independent shop. I really can't think of anything that could cause this under normal conditions with out throwing a code or some thing being mechanically wrong.

Yea I took it to the dealer yesterday they put 30 miles on it and said it would not duplicate the Problem, hooked up a scanner, it threw no codes and they were done. I got it to duplicate leaving the parking lot. I know a few people with the same power train and they are all baffled.

Yah that makes me feel like they are lying... Try shifting manually see if it helps or use the tow haul mode just to experiment.

Might help, thanks for the idea.

If they say all the new trucks are like that then get in another new one on the lot and take the service adviser for a ride. See if it is the same. Does it have traction control? That might explain the loss of power on accel with the chattering. Thats exactly what my wifes care with tc does.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Tc is off and I drove a couple new ones and I know for a fact those ran differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    If they say all the new trucks are like that then get in another new one on the lot and take the service adviser for a ride. See if it is the same.
    Mine works as expected, smooth, no chatter, no gear hunting. That is exactly what I was going to suggest, good call Pikey
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by