GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

its funny, my truck has none of these issues, i dont know if its due to the higher mileage (21k) or the fact its a GMC or what. maybe where the trucks are assembled?

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

My 6 speed has flared, or almost sounded/felt like it was slipping a little bit a couple times. Ive got 35" tires still with the stock 3.42 gears(have to yet install the 4.56's I bought) and mine doesn't slam into gear like you describe. I will say I was surprised to see the transmission "learn" my driving habits and noticed that it doesnt shift as often as it did for the first 5800 miles. It seems to stay in 6th gear at a lower rpm's now.(probably struggling because of the stock gearing) Transmission tech told me that it would do that and I was very skeptical. I dont get chattering thats described also.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

I have the hard shift and the bang . I wish I could make it do it . It does it when it wants to no ryme or reason . Truck is 3 months old with 10,000 miles on it . I agree it would be great it in automatic it would show what gear it is in. I think the bang is just that greatGM feeling, or it's Obama reminding us he bailed them out.

got a 2011 with 4.8 4 speed auto tranny clunks loud when fired up also when it down shifts from 1st to 2nd when slowing down to make a turn ,looked on other sites there is a lot of complaints out there on both 6 and 4 speeds GM telling people after like 5 or 6 visits that nothing is wrong same problems as guys here ,its a mess

Your absolutely right, it is a mess. All mods to this new truck have been put on hold, indefinitely. Can't justify putting money into a truck I hate driving.
    Andy
    05 Silverado 1500 Z71 Until 6/5/12

Straight Pipe Dual Exhaust
    LED Third Brake Light
    Ram Air Cowl Induction Hood
    Edelbrock Shorty Headers
    DeBadged

GM's service departments have recieved a huge amount of complaints regarding the 5.3 liter 6 speed with Active Fuel Management (AFM). According to my buying dealer's service manager, that's the number one complaint.

The powertrain/drivetrain/AFM combo is incredibly awkward, and for many, annoying to drive. Check some of the other sites. Ask the service techs if there's an internal GM bulletin addressing these new GM truck transmission issues; lag, growl, bang, clunk, unwanted accel at stop signs etc.

If you're a potential new GM truck buyer, test drive these trucks extensively at 45 MPH on level ground WITH THE DRIVER DISPLAY IN ECONOMY MODE. Watch as the truck moves from 4 to 8 cylinders. See if the truck actually feels as though it lags, slips or bangs as the AFM causes the tranny to pick up all the slop between it and the engine. Make a few slow right hand turns. See if the truck lags, then jumps or catches.

Since 2010, alot if guys have been complaining. Ask your service manager.

I quit a korean co. where i was a hourly worker 23 years, i produced the needle bearings for hubs and transmissions , for 3 years we did all kind of low grade material substitution from china and all of this product went out the door to assembly plants, after being harassed i quit and filed with the security and exchange commission with clear documentation and evidence and was denied an investigation, customer visits and QS audits are a joke for consumers, the auto industry is trying to time out failures past warranty for new sales, they let unethical companys use their descretion and base quality on the different powertrain drivetrain warrantys, GM uppers should be ashamed

I have a 2008 with 56K miles and I know exactly what you are describing. Mine shifted hard from first to second gear every time I left the drive way with light acceleration. It was extremely noticeable for the first week or so but now it hasn't happened in 2 or 3 months...I am assuming the computer learned my driving habits and adjusted for it, or that maybe the line pressure to the tranny is stiffened up if the truck isn't warmed up because now I always let it run for a cycle or two with the remote start.

That being said, I took my GM Certified truck in and had a lot of work done to it (replaced rear leaf springs, the entire rack and pinion steering assembly, the A/C control module since buttons were chipping, had the drums and discs turned, power mirror and window switches replaced and more) and while it was in the shop, they gave me a 2012 Texas Edition 5.3L with 1500 miles on it to run around in for a week.

My 2008 doesn't do the random gear changing, but you can hear and feel the V4 to V8 transfer if you are looking for it. As for the 2012 loaner I drove, the transmission was all over the place, up-shifting too quickly, down-shifting too easily with a rough kick, I was not impressed. It also seemed to have less take off speed (possibly the switch to 20" rims from 17's) and it also clunked loudly upon gear selection.

I was told by the dealer that these trucks have to be broken in for them to stop clunking and that if it does clunk after higher mileage, like mine, that it is perfectly normal. Somewhere in there I caught a contradictory statement that made me feel like they will say whatever you will let them.

I just hope my tranny doesn't fail anytime soon after the warranty is up...if it weren't for bad luck, I would have no luck at all
    This is my 5th Chevy truck, and it won't be my last.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123