GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Quick engine detail how to........ (Engine Detailing Video!)

My motivation for this was the best new threrad contest and I decided to make my first you tube video. Its a 5 min long video of a quick engine detail and is something you an do once a month when you wash and detail your truck. I took 10 short videos and made it into one and tried to keep it somewhat short. I'll post some pictures I took as well......

Thanks for watching and hope to do more in the future.

2003 Chevy Silverado LS Regular Cab Stepside in Tangier Orange (factory color)
    20" Baccarat black wheels and 285/50R20 tires
    Pretty much all stock for now but plans to upgrage stereo, exhaust, engine and other goodies.

Wow great video! Thanks for the shout out in your video! Yeah, looks like you're heavy into Meguiuers (sp) stuff for sure.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Cool Video! I worked in a detail shop for a short time and we used to do almost the exact same thing with nearly the same products. After a few months the owner realized how much money he was spending on engine detailing so he came up with another method. We would wash it down with the hose. Then spray less than half a can of the "no touch" tire foam on everything but the alternator. It worked great and cut the cleaning time in half. Although I prefer the meguiars products I find them kind of spendy.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Good Job!!! your underhood looks pretty sexy for an 03'

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Not sure why, but I couldn't get the video to play. Just a black screen. Can you give me the Youtube web link? Maybe I can go there and look. Definitely wanted to look at what you did, how you went about this. Always looking for a good idea when it comes to a regular maintenance detail of the engine bay.
    1994 Chevy K2500 Silverado, 454 (modified), original owner.
    And other vehicles and toys.

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    ...you'll be a Man, my son!" Rudyard Kipling

Here is the you tube link..................

Great job with the video. Definitely will be trying out your techniques the next time I get around to doing the whole wash n wax thing. Thanks for sharing.
    "The best things in life aren't things"

2007 Chevy Silverado Classic 1500
    Ext Cab 4wd LT
    Check out my garage
    http://www.NStarWindow.com

Great video! I'll probably do something similar next time I wash my truck.
    I use mostly Mothers brand products, but the Meguiars did a pretty good job.

2004 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
    4WD, Standard cab

Current Mods:
    2" Rough Country torsion keys, Black Bowtie, 3rd brake light tinted, custom tint on headlight/turn signal corners and taillights, Tractor Supply low profile toolbox, 8000K green Xentec HID headlights/Fog Lights, Window tint, 285/75R16 Falken Rocky Mountain AT/S tires, Flowmaster 10 Series single chamber exhaust 3" tips.

Jr. Mechanic

Nice video! This is what i have been looking for. I really want to do this but i am terrified of messing something electrical up as i am not sure of what all to cover up. Nor do i have the confidence to do it right now because my luck with doing the simple things is not good.

Use very low pressure water to spray. Watch his video again if you have to.

I use one of those shut off valves you can put on the end of the hose, turn it down low and have a nozzle on the end of that, so I can control how hard it sprays. I just cascade the water over some areas to avoid water going into crevaces it does not belong, and I don't cover my alternator, I just spray around it (yes, this is dangerous, but it works if you are very careful, the alternator does tolerate water to a point). Cover any electrical parts. If you cover your alternator, car alarm siren and any other obvious electrics with sandwich wrap, baggie, aluminum foil, or painters plastic, you are safe to go.

The more often you wash the engine bay, the easier it is to do it each time. Also, if there is a lot of dirt, DO NOT try to tackle it all at once, just do a little bit the first washing and chip away at it each successive washing.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by