GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Battery Removal Recommendation ?'s

I will be parking the Phantom this winter in my cold storage barn and I got to thinking whether or not I should remove the battery out of the truck or just leave it in the truck and start it every few weeks. Or remove the battery and put it back in every few weeks and start it. Or put a solar battery tender(which I have new in the package I got as a gift 10 years ago) on it and leave it in the truck. Im guessing it would be good to start it to keep the system oiled and to prevent condensation from causing corrosion(rust). Searched and really haven't seen much input on this. Any opinions will be greatly appreciated.

P.S. If I removed the battery I obviously would bring it in where its warm.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

If the Solar Tender can keep a charge on it that would probably be the best along with going out and firing the truck up every fe weeks and driving it around in 4wd to get the lube cycled around.

I had a large solar charger for my 1995 silverado. I bought a battery in November. I would start it every two weeks. When January rolled around and it was below 20 degrees for more than 2 weeks the battery died. I had to bring it in and thaw it, then recharge it. I don't know that there is enough intensity from the sun to keep it charged in the colder weather. The next year I bought a cheap battery tender from harbor freight for $8, it kept it fully charged all winter and I never had another issue again. I also run the same kind of cheapo tender on my boat battery all winter and it is good to go when spring rolls around.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Trickle-charge the battery and either drain the fluids or drive the truck a little bit every other week.

I bought a battery tender from Batteries Plus last fall for my bike as well as a new battery. I hook it up when I know I won't be riding for a period of time to make sure the bike will start when I do get a chance to go for a ride. I would recommend one of those as well as taking the truck out for a spin on when the roads are dry. I am guessing that is the reason for putting it away for the winter. Salt is a PITA on cars!

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

Yeah im definitely putting it up because of the salt. Thanks for your opinions, I will probably start it up once in a while and like said, take it for a stroll to keep the fluids active so to speak.

Like stated above get yourself a plug in battery tender, and when you do fire it up make sure you drive it enough that all the fluids (oil, tranny fluid, transfer case, diff fluid) get good and hot. It'll burn off all the condensation that builds up when sitting.

97 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 5.7L
    78 GMC High Sierra K1500
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go thru life.