GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Master Mechanic

Default Is my transfer case done for?

The truck:
    1986 K5 Blazer
    350ci with SM465 3spd manual with granny low transmission
    NP208c transfer case

I was out playing in a field this weekend and threw the driveshaft. I stopped to find out what the awful loud noise was and found the u-joint had apparently freed itself from the straps bolting it to the yoke on the rear differential. Nothing else seemed to be damaged so I threw the driveshaft in the backseat, put the truck in 4hi and drove approximately 200 yards to the house.

I put on a new u-joint this evening and then re-installed the driveshaft. I unlocked the front hubs, put the transfer case back into 2wd, cranked it up and started to go. Now there is an awful loud metallic clunking sound and a vibration as I begin to accelerate at a low speed. It doesnt matter whether its in 2 or 4wd, forward or reverse. I even removed the driveshaft and took a lap around the yard with no noise. Anybody have any ideas?
    -Dylan
    2004 Silverado 4x4
    4.8L
    1986 K5 Blazer
    8" Superlift w/39.5 super swampers
    1992 GMC Jimmy "Blue Bomber"
    4.3L Vortec

Sounds to me that the rear diff. has something going on that caused your universal to pop. I would pull the rear cover and see if you find excessive metal in the oil or anything else unusual.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Master Mechanic

If it's the rear end, I'm gonna lose it. We put the new one in about a year ago. But it sure wouldnt hurt to look. I've been thinking about what caused the problem to begin with in the back of my mind.
    -Dylan
    2004 Silverado 4x4
    4.8L
    1986 K5 Blazer
    4.3L Vortec

Thats the easiest check. Seems as though the rear diff would still be turning (making noise) even with the driveshaft out so maybe its in the rear of the tranny. Them big Superswampers your running may have taken their toll on her.(if its a her)

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Master Mechanic

yea the noise was gone after i took the driveshaft back out. I'll still give it a look to help rule some things out
    -Dylan
    2004 Silverado 4x4
    4.8L
    1986 K5 Blazer
    4.3L Vortec

Is your yoke on the rear drive shaft fixed or a slip style?
    If its a slip style which some SM465's had it could be you drained all the fluid out on the way to the house, if thats the case you might get lucky by refilling it, worth a check, otherwise when the U-joint went it could've damaged the tailshaft bearings, that would mena a T case rebuild.