GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Bilstein vs KYB shocks

I know that everyone likes the bilsteins. Does anyone have an opinion on KYB shocks or the monroe reflex monotube? I am looking to change out the shocks on my 05 yukon xl. I am leaning toward the bilstein, but I can get a discount on the KYB and the monroe MonoTube (buy one get one free)
    Last edited by Pikey; 09-12-2012 at 10:17 PM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Both are Great Shocks you will not have a problem with Bilstein or KYB's True Shock Co's...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

All thee are good shocks. I have used the Monroe Reflex shocks and they provided a good ride on the Tahoe. They handle OK and they made the Tahoe ride like a luxury vehicle. But, I did change them out for the Bilsteins. The ride is a little more harsh, but I can go around corners faster with a lot less lean. (The Tahoe does have Eibach sway bars and springs.)
    Bill M. Blown 2003 Tahoe Z71

Quote Originally Posted by BillM View Post
    All thee are good shocks. I have used the Monroe Reflex shocks and they provided a good ride on the Tahoe. They handle OK and they made the Tahoe ride like a luxury vehicle. But, I did change them out for the Bilsteins. The ride is a little more harsh, but I can go around corners faster with a lot less lean. (The Tahoe does have Eibach sway bars and springs.)
    Well, I put some reflex monotube on the front yesterday. They rode like crap. It handled awesome, but I felt like I was going to break teeth on every bump. I returned them and bought some regular double tube reflex. They are a little soft for me. The nose still dives when braking and I have more body roll than with the monotube. But, I like the softer ride so I guess I will stick with them