GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 06 Silverado 2500HD fuel pump kit

Hi everyone,

We have a Silverado 2500HD that we use in the jungle, the gasoline here is really nasty and the filter inside the pump plugs up really quick. It's a pain to take out the pump and the filter to clean it, expensive to replace.
    We had the same problem with Tacomas, they have the same setup, we bought some URD 2005+ Tacoma V6, Fuel Pump/Filter Upgrade Kit from Underdog and it works great. The filter is outside the gas tank, and it's a simple Napa fuel filter.
    Is there anything like this available for our Chevy? I would really appreciate the help!
    Thanks!

I'm familiar with the URD kit, I have a similar kit on my 99 Tacoma.
    I've never seen a kit like that for GM trucks.
    Probably the best thing you could do is buy parts and make your own kit. All you would need is an inline fuel filter, you could add a fuel water separator for added fitering and connections to plumb it.
    The in tank filter material could be removed then.
    A trick I learned in Mexico years ago and used every time we fueled a vehicle while stationed in the Middle East was to carry a spare sock and a pair of womens Nylons, we strained fuel through the sock/Nylon to keep the larger trash out of the fuel system.

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    I'm familiar with the URD kit, I have a similar kit on my 99 Tacoma.
    I've never seen a kit like that for GM trucks.
    Probably the best thing you could do is buy parts and make your own kit. All you would need is an inline fuel filter, you could add a fuel water separator for added fitering and connections to plumb it.
    The in tank filter material could be removed then.
    Do you mean remove the little filter inside the fuel pump and then put inline Fuel Filter, like Napa Gold 3239 after the pump? And a water separator, before or after?

Yes remove the little filter in the pump.
    I would probably place the water separator before an inline filter just to keep on additional thing from reaching the filter.

You need to replace the filter on the pump itself and the one on the bottom of the canister. Trash needs to be stopped before the pump or it will grind itself up.