GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0597.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	45230

Well there it is all set up and wired. Now just need some of that white stuff to push around. Thanks again guys.
    "The best things in life aren't things"

2007 Chevy Silverado Classic 1500
    Ext Cab 4wd LT
    Check out my garage
    http://www.NStarWindow.com

Over the years, I've found that sand tubes help with rear traction offering ballast to offset the weight of the plow. I use four of these in the back of my truck when the plow is attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1891085.jpg  

HHR SS_________________The Heritage Hot Rod

On the western quickmatch they reccomend 260 for the ballas. Definitely going to be getting something for a ballast, thanks for the tip. Most likely will be ordering a few bags. Can't wait for some snow to try this out.

You may not have long to wait.
    2009 GMC Sierra 5.3L running on E85
    Black and chrome
    Volant CAI
    Borla dual exhaust
    Chrome Billet grill
    Tonneau cover
    4300k High/Low Beam HIDs
    Westin Ultimate Bull Bar with PIAA 540s
    Blacked-out tail and third brake light

I hope not! Actually looking forward to the snow this year. I think the lack of it last year has something to do with it too. Anyways I'll be sure to update this post and let you guys know how it goes when the time comes.

87Silver- No luck on the sand tubes yet. No Menards anywhere close by, Home Depot has them on their app, but not available in any nearby stores. I think I'm going to give Tractor Supply a shot. I guess worst case I can get some descent quality bags and just fill them myself.

I used to install Western plows for a truck company I worked for. We install anything that would go on a work truck, township truck, PennDot and Turnpike. Western is one of the easiest and reliable plows out there. We used Dexron III for the the fluid in them. Change it once a year. Remove the motor and use a suction gun to suck out the fluid. Change the filter on the side of the pump. Wipe out the resivour and refill. These plow pumps need oil changes. If its dark or discolored the pump will not last long. I just threw away all my Wester plow manuals and installation manual a few weeks ago. Didn't think I'd ever use them again. I still remember some of the part #s from 10 years ago. LOL, my long term memory is way better than my short term, just ask my wife.
    We also cranked up the torsion bars to support the weight of the plow while its up. You may want to do that otherwise the corner may hit the ground if the plow is angle and you hit a bump. The Chevys were bad with soft front suspension. The Fords ( depending on the size of the plow ) would get Air Ride air bags on the front which completly took the load of the plow. Don't know of any other way to increase the front of the Chevy. Make sure the trip springs are not too tight and keep the blade at least 1/2" off the ground with the shoes on the side. If you plow with the blade down and scrape the ground you could find a hiden rock. Hitting things with a plow is very hard on the truck. Absolutly no give other than the trip springs.
    We never added any batteries to the trucks to support the plow. You should be good as long as you don't continuosly operate it for long periods. Make sure you use dielectric grease on every electrical connection on the plow harness. Bad grounds were a big problem after sitting all summer. When it called for snow everyone would put their plows on and low and behold some didn't work. Usually a simple fix that cost them for not maintaining them in the 1st place.

I still have friends that work at that company so if you have questions and I or someone else cannot answer them let me know. I can give them a call. Sometimes better to talk to mechanics than the manufactures.

Have fun plowing
    Last edited by Marcus A.; 11-13-2012 at 07:42 PM.
    2003 Suburban 2500 LT, 6.0l Volant cai. 3.73 gear. Mobil 1 syn oil

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12