GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: radiator help

Default radiator help

well my water is leaking somewhere... possibly from the water pump i need to look more. HOWEVER, please dont bust my butt to much... I went to fill the radiator and didnt see the usual cap..... the only fill spot is the overflow tank? fill me in on how to do this... i almost said f it and filled the tank up
    2004 Chevy Silverado z71, second owner

1994 Pontiac Trans Am GT, yellow, Hard top (yup its a GT):glasses:

The tank is the only place on my 05 yukon to fill it. Same with my 03

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

ok so how do i know when to stop or just filler er to the top?? lol

Look on the side of the reserve tank their should be a hot and cold mark fill to cold when cool or hot when hot real easy.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

thanks! i looked but i guess im blind lol!

Yeah, my 2001 is the same way. Only place to add fluid is the overflow tank.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

This is the case with most GM trucks because they are built for towing and hauling so when the engine gets really hot the fluid expands slightly and sometimes if it begins to get to hot instead of causing damage to the radiator and other parts of the cooling system, it just sends the expanding hot fluid to the tank and it goes back in to the cooling system when it cools down. Also it allows to have extra fluid if there is a leak in the system.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by nabisco_12 View Post
    well my water is leaking somewhere... possibly from the water pump i need to look more. HOWEVER, please dont bust my butt to much... I went to fill the radiator and didnt see the usual cap..... the only fill spot is the overflow tank? fill me in on how to do this... i almost said f it and filled the tank up
    this tank is a pressurized coolant system storage tank. this is used so that NO AIR will be in the circulated coolant of the radiator. with DEXCOOL air circulating inside the engine would cause problems .

with coolant losses you may find the this is the water pump engine gaskets. this can be hard to see/find. I found that the water pump bolts lossened causing a small leak. I also used a small amount of coolant system sealer [porter seal] 3 tables spoons premixed with some coolant and placed into the radiator not the coolant tank. then top off the coolant tank with no sealer in it.

replacing the coolant is important. use distilled water. replace every 3-4 years or when the coolant gets brown/dark colored. coolant should be orange.

when filling with coolant drain keep the cap off the storge tank engine idling and this will purge the system of air. rev to 2ooorpm until its at the full hot mark engine at the normal temp.

If you need heat in the winter best disconnect the heater core hoses at the engine and then flush out this heater core. for some reason this traps debris and does effect heater operation.

use some air pressure to blow out the flush until clean.