GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I want my own SR-71 that I can pilot

I have no clue how much this cost to build, or if there are kits available, but that would be so much fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...=6DQR5xrblVo#!

Its a multimillion dollar aircraft there are no kits only the retired ones. Sorry, but I don't think a civilian can get one.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

I know civilians can't get them, but that guy built a 12 foot model version with real model sized jet engines..... I am sure it was not cheap to do that, but it would be allot of fun. It even sounds like one.

Nak ... you are very strange!

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    Nak ... you are very strange!
    Surreal,

I had a grandfather that was into building model planes from scratch. He had a wood working shop in his basement in Michigan and it was really cool to see all the different planes he had built and then go and fly them.

Back then, your average plane builder did not have access to jet engines though .

Plane building is actually a fairly large hobby.

Apparently that 12 foot model of the SR-71 took the guy 9 years to build and there is not a "kit" you can order online or go to a hobby shop to get and build one of those.

And this guy won the annual competition with that SR-71.

I still stand by my earlier statement!

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    I still stand by my earlier statement!
    LOL! I might take your side on this one too.

If at first you don't succeed, chances are, you are using too small of a cheater bar

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 Vortec | Spectre Cold Air Intake | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tails | Denali headlights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T | "Ghetto" painted tailgate | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Dual Thrush Turbo Mufflers
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Oil/Trans Fluid cooler | Re-done exhaust | Paint | Interior Restoration/upgrade with newer model stuff | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    US Navy Sailor :sign0011:

Quote Originally Posted by rileyjr16 View Post
    LOL! I might take your side on this one too.
    Having met him, I feel qualified to make that statement. I'll also say that it takes someone who is strange to know someone who is...

I like to build things, but 9 years? That's not a hobby, that's an obsession.

Watching that thing go was very interesting, the only problem is it's so fast I couldn't even be that much fun to fly.

well maybe for a professional, but for an amateur you have to spend all your time just really turning if you just sat back watching it fly. otherwise, the plane will get too far out a way from you would not be able to see it.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Theres quite a few companies that make 3D profiles of popular jets and prop driven aircraft.
    Their made out of foam and set up to add your own engines and controls.
    I dont think their as large as that one but I have seen an SR-71, most of the model kits are under $100.
    A friend of mine from work has about a dozen different 3D foam model A/C he flies at a park in Mansfield Texas.
    I know he can build them in about 2 days with the kits he orders on-line. Lately he's been ordering scale blue prints and buying foam from a local hobby shop and building his own jets in whatever size he wants.
    I think if you search on line you'll find a lot of info about building and flying them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast