GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Ditching 20's for GMC 17's - TPMS question

Gentlemen,

It's time for tires on my LTZ and I have aftermarket 20's that were on the truck when used. Two of lug nut/hub covers are gone and of course the wheel manufacturer is out of business. Since I can't have THAT for very long without puking and it's time to replace tires, I'm considering purchasing 2012 GMC 4x4 17" wheels with Goodyears already on them.

If those don't have the TPMS that my current wheels do, will I run in to any challenges when I take both old and news sets to the tire shop to have them move my TPMS over?

Thanks!
    maximumrob

You do not need to have the original tpms sensors... when you get your new rims and tires on just follow the discovery/reprogram sequence for your vehicle and it will find the new sensors.
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

Thanks! If the new wheels don't have TPMS, is it at all difficult to move the TPMS over to them from my current wheels?

No problem to move them to the new rims... Most shops will do this... Normally they want the tires completely removed from the rim (to avoid damage to them) for installation and/or removal. Still cheaper than buying new ones.