GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Greasing rear u-joint

My 94 1/2 ton has a greaseable u-joint on the back end of the driveshaft. It was put in when I had the trans rebuilt last summer - by the shop, without prior notice. Is there any way to grease this without dropping the driveshaft? Is there a smaller grease gun tip available that still fits a standard zerk? There's no way a regular grease gun tip will fit without taking the shaft out of the pinion yoke.

Look at you favorite parts store for a grease gun tip accessory pack, I use a needle tip to get the U-Joint on one of my trucks because theres no clearance, not as clean a job as normal but it gets everything lubed.

I'm not sure if you've tried it, but try chocking the truck and putting one rear tire in the air. Then put the transmission in neutral so you can rotate the driveshaft. More clearance may be able to be obtained because the angles on the u-joint change as the driveshaft rotates.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    I'm not sure if you've tried it, but try chocking the truck and putting one rear tire in the air. Then put the transmission in neutral so you can rotate the driveshaft. More clearance may be able to be obtained because the angles on the u-joint change as the driveshaft rotates.
    I have tried that, but the angle doesn't change enough to make a difference. I will seek out some new tips for my grease gun this week. Thanks!

I have greased my aftermarket rear u-joint by driving the rear up the ramp, putting the transmission in neutral, and spinning the drive shaft and finding the biggest clearance for the grease gun tip to fit the grease fitting. I did both the rear and the front. The front was more difficult. The grease gun barely fits but i found a sweet spot and was able to get the grease in.
    2011 Chevy Silverado LT 4WD 30k miles
    2001 Suburban 2WD, 5.3, V8 185k miles
    1993 964
    1996 318TI