GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default did a big project today, but not on my truck!

I just got my new injectors in friday and couldnt wait to put them on sunday, but....
    well my little brother and mom were coming down to stay for the weekend to help with babysitting while i had to work on saturday, so naturally they pulled up outside and me and my son walked out there to see if they needed any help unpacking the car (2001 ford excursion, 7.3 diesel).
    My little brother asked me to look at something cause he was hearing squeaking under the hood, so he popped it, and the first thing i think of is pulleys for squeaking. I was amazed at what i saw, the whole engine fan and pulley was wobbling terribly(obviously bad bearings), so i told him to shut it off, he said he heard it in san antonio before driving 160 miles down here, i couldnt believe it lasted.
    So i figured it would be an easy fix...wrong!!!
    called a local auto parts store and ran to pick up the engine fan pulley(water pump pully so it was called)and when we got to the store just talked to the guy as he was looking up the part and he showed me a picture and said the pulley has NO bearings in it. he said he had a friends with the same problem before on the same engine, and it was the water pump. the pulley just bolts onto the water pump and it has the bearings that went bad. so it quickly went from a $55.00 part to a $150.00 part now :/
    well we got the part that night and he started taking everything apart while i worked all day saturday and of course had to deal with 2 stripped bolts of which we could find nowhere.
    we ended up putting the new one on today, put the gasket it and some rvt to make a nice seal and bolted everything back up.
    finally came time to put the antifreeze in and start it up. BUT after 2 gallons of antifreeze were poured in, i noticed a stream of coolant flowing onto the ground, and realized it was leaking from the water pump

my little brother felt around and found the gasket hanging outunderneath the water pump!!! after i told him to be careful when putting the pump in to make sure the gasket is in place... i guess he didnt look and the bottom of the gasket fell out of the groove and he didnt notice it even once he tightened it down...

so once again had to unbolt everything, coolant reservoir, all hoses, serpentine belt, fan shroud, fan, pulley, and pump. very nice way to kill an entire day. we also had to go buy another gasket, since tightening the pump down over the gasket severed it. try number 2. success!

this time it didnt leak, and hopefully it stays that way. at least enough to get them safely back to san antonio tomorrow since they had to stay an extra day due to the repair taking longer than expected.

needless to say, my injectors will have to wait another week :/

damn fords!
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Powertrain:
    4.3L V6, 4L60E, 2WD, Single Cab
    Performance:
    Airaid CAI
    Poweraid TB Spacer
    Flowmaster 10-series exhaust (dumped)
    BLACKBEAR TUNED!!!
    Edge CS insight monitor
    4.10 gears
    Limited-slip differential
    LS-1 Dual Electric fans
    Corvette tranny servo swap

Audio:
    Head Unit: Alpine
    Speakers: Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" component set, 4X6 Infinity Kappas
    Subs: 2-12" Kicker CVT's
    Amps: Alpine-M1000 (subs), Alpine MRX-F65 (Speakers)

Tires/Wheels:
    305/70R16 NITTO Terra Grapplers
    16" PROCOMP 7089's
    Suspension:
    2" leveling kit
    3" Fabtech Spindle Lift Kit
    Front/Rear-Bilstein 5100 shocks

Lighting:
    FRONT
    35W HID Low Beams
    RECON LED smoked roof cab lights
    REAR
    HELLA LED taillights and 3rd brakelight
    HELLA FF-75 Aux. Reverse Lamps
    RIGID dually D2, flush mount, wide beam
    Accessories:
    Hawk HPS Brake pads
    Russell braided steel brake lines
    Powerstop-red powdercoated brake calipers
    Powerslot Cryo brake rotors
    EGR in-channel window visors

And what did your little brother do as a show of appreciation for burning an entire weekend to help him ... especially when one day of it was caused by his carelessness on the very gasket you had warned him about?

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    And what did your little brother do as a show of appreciation for burning an entire weekend to help him ... especially when one day of it was caused by his carelessness on the very gasket you had warned him about?
    well he said thank you and he helped me clean my garage LOL

Quote Originally Posted by reggiecab2000 View Post
    well he said thank you and he helped me clean my garage LOL
    Sounds like he still owes!

Don't ya hate it when this happens? My brother had the same thing happen to him but he stopped because some Mexican woman who had 4 children was stranded on the side of a LOOOONG highway through a BIIIG swamp due to...the water pump. It was a Chevy Tahoe, but, being made in Mexico, it was some Espanish word instead of Tahoe...you ever try finding a water pump at 12:30 AM to fit a Tahoe-o; it ain't fun.

She was headed to Lake Charles when the truck overheated and she shut it off. We started it back my parent's, knocked like CRAZY. I followed her from Gonzales, all the way to Lake Charles where she was going that night and day with no other problem-os

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

well turns out it wasnt fixed after all, phone call after phone call today as my mom and brother were headed back to san antonio, that it was still leaking like crazy.
    reference
    Corpus christi is mile marker-0
    san antonio(exit to get on 37-S)-141
    they had to stop at 85 because prctically all the antifreeze was gone, then again at my uncles outside san antonio when it was empty again. my uncle is a mechanic that does body work all day every day (collision repair type stuff and all other work he wants too) so my mom figured that hed be the guy to go to, to find the leak and what do you know after they filled it up with water and looked around they found it!

my little brother put the rubber gasket for the thermostat UNDERNEATH the thermostat, its supposed to go on top...

that mistake cause an entire antifreeze reservoir to completely empty twice in 150 miles, even with RTV sealant on it.
    well they got another gasket and fixed it real quick and my mom finally made it to work and him to school.

supposedly they are seeing anymore leaks, but pray to god its fixed...

i love my little brother, but JEEEEZZZZ!!!!!!!!
    2 mistakes like this... he always wants to be like me but it seems hes got a ways to go, especially with some more common sense....

i just hope everything else is put on right

Well its a learning experience for some. I was always impatient, but i burned out an engine when i didn't get an oil pan on properly and that taught me an important lesson to do the job right the first tine.