GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best Headlight Restoration kit

So since I bought my truck I tried to clean up both the headlights and taillights. I used Fast-bright that product that supposedly works like magic and cleans the lenses right up. Well worked wonders on the head light but not much on the tails.

Just wondering what you guys out their have used that's worked on either just the headlights or both. And what you think is the best product for restoring factory lenses.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

All so called restoration kits are some kind of abrasive kit. You can go buy 1500 and 2000 grit wet dry sandpaper at your auto body supply store, use water and get the surface most of the way smooth, then use Flitz cleaner/polish to finish the job, with one of their ball type polishers and a plug in variable speed drill. Works great. Or you can do what I did on my truck: buy new headlamp assemblies.
    1994 Chevy K2500 Silverado, 454 (modified), original owner.
    And other vehicles and toys.

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    ...you'll be a Man, my son!" Rudyard Kipling

I am not going to say this place is the best.... because they are "cheap" relatively speaking, but we have a place called Cert-i-fit close by. The local dealer wanted something like $250 for each factory lamp casing..... I spent $30-40 each at Cert-i-Fit.

I also get my powered side mirrors there too. the whole power side mirror is about $25 each ( left side/right side). To the average person, no one knows the difference and I saved allot of money.

When I do stop by dealer, they know they are not "GM" parts, but I tell them, yep your right. I can buy 7 of these for every one of yours. In 12 years, the 3 that I bought at $25 each paid for less than 1 of yours.

While not exactly a restoration kit, Certi-fit has a number of locations nation-wide ... and an online site, oo (http://www.certifit.com/) ... and they -can- be very cheap, full-on replacements. Why restore when you can replace?

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    While not exactly a restoration kit, Certi-fit has a number of locations nation-wide ... and an online site, oo (http://www.certifit.com/) ... and they -can- be very cheap, full-on replacements. Why restore when you can replace?
    Exactly....... Brand New casings @ $25- $40 is something you can't beat, unless you want some special aftermarket ones that will cost you $250 a pair anyway. The restoration kits average what $19?

Quote Originally Posted by nakranij View Post
    Exactly....... Brand New casings @ $25- $40 is something you can't beat, unless you want some special aftermarket ones that will cost you $250 a pair anyway. The restoration kits average what $19?
    $20-$30 for a kit, depending on who makes it.

The main purpose of this thread was restoration kits, the quick fix ones that cost $20-30 and do a decent job.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Ok Ok Who would like a FREE KIT!!!!? Details to come soon.. Get your Thinking Caps on...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    Ok Ok Who would like a FREE KIT!!!!? Details to come soon.. Get your Thinking Caps on...
    LOL. I guess I don't need one, I just buy replacement cases with new lenses on the cheap

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    Knowing you, it's a Sylvania. And you knowing me, you probably know I've already used a Sylvania kit. Consumer reports rated it the best among those they tested. Retail is about $21.00 on it. I felt the one I used was worth it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast