GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Part Time Running Problem?

OK, here is one for you. I have an occasional running problem on my 02 5.3 Yukon 85k miles. The problem only occurs about half the time and I can't figure out what it is. Here is the best way I can explain it.

Most of the time ( a little over half) the Yukon runs great. smooth idle, responsive throttle, and great power. The other part of the time, idle is a little off, power not all there and throttle response not great either. I have tried to place it to the weather or gas. An example was Thursday, I drove to work and the truck was running bad. All the bad symptoms were present. I get in on Friday, and it is running like brand new! The temperature was the same on both days and I am on the same tank of gas.

I have done sea foam, throttle cleaning and it didn't make much of a difference. Has anyone else experienced this problem??

Blog Entries

Any check engine lights come on? It could be electrical as my Wife's Suburban seemed to have a problem similar to that and it was throwing random mis-fire codes. Ended up being a bad coil pack. Never happened again since the replacement.
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

Unfortunately I don't have any check engine lights on. Did yours throw a code?

I had an o2 sensor do this once, but it also threw a code.....

Just a heads up, I changed my spark plugs and wires a couple of days ago, and the truck has run great ever since. Not sure if this is a fix, but it looks good so far. I went with NGK TR55 copper plugs for $2 each and Duralast plug wires. Either way, the idle has smoothed out overall and I hope this is a fix.