GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Help in diagnosing faulty heated mirrors

I recently bought a 2002 Silverado LT.
    Althought the power adjustment works on the outside mirrors, the heating function does not work on either mirror.
    the manual says turning on the rear window defroster turns on the heated mirrors.
    Neither mirrors' heating function work would leads me to suspect a power supply fault.
    The owners manual only shows one fuse in the engine compartment fuse box.
    That fuse appears fine but I changed it anyway. Neither mirror still works.

Is there another fuse in either the panel to the left of the dash or under the center console???

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

rich

Smile Does the rear window defroster work ?

Quote Originally Posted by rws.1 View Post
    Althought the power adjustment works on the outside mirrors, the heating function does not work on either mirror.
    the manual says turning on the rear window defroster turns on the heated mirrors.
    Neither mirrors' heating function work would leads me to suspect a power supply fault.

Is there another fuse in either the panel to the left of the dash or under the center console???

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

rich
    Question: Does the rear window defroster work ?

I would remove the rear window defroster switch and check for battery voltage and amperage draw from the switch when it is turned ON. If there is no battery voltage or amperage draw, more than likely you have an open circuit somewhere in the dash.

Do you have an electrical schematic to trace the wiring ? (if not, it may help a lot)

Good luck ! This can be a nightmare... I had to trace every circuit in my firebird when I first got it to find a short related to lighting, and it was tough, since the person who had the car before me did a few things, I had to undo (was a mess). Fortunately I was able to get the correct color coded electrical schematics.... So it was just a matter of time in finding it.... (there was an incorrect connection in the fuse box !)

Yes the rear defroster works perfectly.
    I do not have schematics for the wiring but will try to source some.
    Thanks.

Rich

You haven't installed or moved anything that might be near the wires path way?
    Silverado Parts
    Jay :happy: Waxhaw, N.C.
    70 Chevy C-10 Stepside from 86 lowered 2" front 3" back, 383ci/350hp. elec. seats,functioning cowl, wood bed, hidden hitch, hidden tach, long headers, duel 3" exhaust. perform int., semi-aggressive cam (no specs.)
    69 Chevy C-10 Fleetside 350 ci 3spd. mild cam, 270hp,stock.duel 2.5" exhaust. Lowered 2" made own blocks

89 Ski Marlin Boat 350 ci:party: pulling machine. 7 skiiers.

No mods or movement of wires and the rubber boots over the wires that connect to the door are intact.

Default Is it the switch itself ?

Could it be the switch ? You might consider pulling the battery cable off, and using a diode tester on the switch (with it turned on) and see if contact is made on all points correctly..

I have had may switches go bad (push button 4-wheel drive, every power window switch, and the emergency flashers). This could be a quick thing to check (and an easy repair) if you can get it out....

Default Similar problem

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

rich
    I have a similar problem with my heated mirrors, BUT...it's only the right side on my truck that does not work. Truck being a 2003 2500HD. Any suggestions on a fix???

pop the mirror off and check the connectors i found out in mine the mirror on my right side wasnt getting any power when the defroster was on. When they snapped the mirror on they crimped the stupid wire.

everything else worked signals ..flashers....
    04 Tahoe LT 5.3L stock MSD 8.5mm Wires
    Gigbson Duels Straight Exhaust, Parrot 3100 Bluetooth
    K&N 77 Series CAI, Sirius Radio
    De-badged, Valet Dei remote start
    5000k HID -Higherlevelauto.com
    Federal 100watt air horn

Default The bottom line on heated mirrors

I've had my '02 Chevy 2500 for about five years now. It's a great truck, but the heated mirrors haven't worked since I bought it. I've been all over this mirror issue for about a month now:

First off, you have wires in the back of the glass similar to your rear-window defroster. Check to see that you are getting power to the mirrors by pulling off the acces panel on the inside of the door on the front of the window. There are two tabs that hold this triangle shaped panel in and a third tab to pull up on. Pull from the top, and you'll see how it works. Once you have the panel off, you can see a bundle of wires that go to the mirror. Disconnect the white connecter fitting. Turn on the rear defroster and you should have power to the orange wire. Turn off the R. defroster and you should have no power. If you have power to the orange wire with the R. defroster on, then the problem is in the mirror.

From reading on the web, it seems a lot of people have bad mirror glass. It seems that the wires are very fragile and prone to breakage. The dealers out here in Colorado want $65 - $75 for the chevy mirror glass. I did see a part number some where and looked it up on gm-parts.com, but the illustration wasn't correct for my truck. The dealer did give me a part number, but it was for the whole mirror assembly. If you want to replace the mirror glass, it just pops out of the mirror, but you will probably break it prying it out.

I bought a cheap aftermarket mirrior on Ebay, and boy, is it cheap. The glass is not the same, so you don't get the same view through the mirror (hard to describe). The mirror I bought shook terribly (lots of vibration) and the controls moved the mirror in the wrong direction. I thought I could live with all of that, but it snowed last night here, and upon turning on the defrost the mirror cracked in half top to bottom. The seller is going to send me another mirror.

My recomendation would be to confirm the mirror has power to it, and then to replace it with OEM chevy mirror glass. I would get a good part number and get it off of www.gmpartsclub.com and buy it there.

May the force be with you, and hopefully this helped everyone here.

Thanks,

Chinook

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

rich

Blog Entries

Only bad thing is GM wants up wards to $300 just for new glass. I had to replace the drivers mirror on our 2001 Suburban and it was only $80 for an Aftermarket mirror that has worked perfectly.
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.