GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 04 quadrasteer 2500 rear end slipping

I have a 2004 Chevy 2500 quadrasteer . The rear end lube is a special synthetic type. I had it in the shop a few times since new to have the rear end fluid changed out because of a noise when reversing. I have noticed that upon starting from a stop the rear end slips just a bit every now and then. Always at a stop light when warmed up. I figured that the fluid must be low so I went and got some lube from the dealer. When I opened the nut on the side of the rear end ,fluid flowed out. I replaced the nut quickly. The manual says that the fluid level should be 1/4 " below the hole. I was on level ground. The truck was hot. Does the fluid expand ? Do I need to let it cool down. It looks like there is too much fluid in it! Would that make it slip. Truck has 130,000 on it.

I don't think that the fluid would expand that much. But, The metal components will expand when hot. It should not be enough to make a major difference. To much fluid should not cause any kind of slipping. Some of the GM limited slip rear ends require a friction modifier added to the fluid when changed. A friction modifier can either increase or decrease friction in the lube, depending on the application and engineering. Is it possible that the friction modifier was not added? I don't know if the lack of the modifier would cause slipping in the rear end. I am sure that others will post saying that they never add it and never had an issue. GM puts it in those systems for a reason. My advice would be to take it to a good rear end shop and have them check it out. Most good and experienced shops will test drive it for free and be able to tell you what the problem, if any, is without even opening the pig.
    Last edited by Pikey; 09-20-2012 at 07:29 PM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

The manual says not to add friction modifier on the quadrasteer. I will probably need to take it in!

Let use know the outcome!

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)