GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Alternate block heater

I recently purchased a 2009 Silverado 2500 HD with a 6.0 l. The truck is from back east and was never equipped with a block heater. Here in Alberta it can hit -35 C. at night and even colder with the wind so a block heater is defininately a requirement .Not impressed with the reports I'm hearing about the factory block heater and was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for an after market unit? Thanks in advance.
    PK

I have not seen any aftermarket block heaters. I have seen the oil dipstick heaters, but have heard that those are not all that great. I have seen many posts by members in Alaska that use the factory block heater without any issues. You can find them for around $200. About $140 for the heater kit and $60 for the cord. From what I understand it is a fairly easy install

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Thanks for the response , Pikey .I was considering getting one of the inline lower rad hose types for the easy install and low cost ($30).I'll have to stop by the dealer and do some pricing on a factory unit .I think the skid plate and oil cooler lines need to come off so the install for that one is definately a little more involved.

I have read a few posts on other forums where the person said that they just have to pull a plug out of the block on the drivers side and then screw in the block heater. They said that it was relatively easy to access and they did not have to remove any other parts to get to it. I would go to the dealer with your vin number and have them give you the price and the part numbers. Then go to gmpartsdirect.com and order it from them. Their prices as slightly higher then the GM employee purchase price. (dealer wanted $579 for my clock spring, gmpartdirect wanted $349, I got it at employee price of $329 from GM)