GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Cabin Air Filter

Greetings,
    I own a 2005 chevy silverado 2500HD and wanted to change the cabin air filter. I was told that cabin air filters were done away with, but I inspected anyway. Upon unscrewing some things, I discovered a dirty filter-looking majigar within the plastic compartment in the usual area an air filter would be located. But there is no means to get to it!

Is what I'm looking at even a cabin air filter? If so, could someone please lend me their aid in getting to it. There are no screws or bolts to gain access :(
    Attached are three pictures, one of the supposed cabin air filter, the second picture is what the nuts/screws/whatever it takes to gain access, and the third is what the entire plastic container looks like at the bottom of the passenger foot area.

Thank you for your time,
    -Richard
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG957.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	44098Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG965.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	44097
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG961.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	44096

That looks like the heat exchanger. If you had cabin air filters they would be right in front of it. So it looks like you don't have them.

Here is the parts diagram for a 2000 Silverado 2500 (It matches my 1500 from the same year). Part # 5 is the cabin air filters.

http://www.trademotion.com/schematics/G/GH99135.gif

Thanks for the information, hopefully this helps others who might have the same question.

Oh god, gross. I poked it with my finger. Its wet and moldy. Does this thing have to be changed?

Use a wet dry vacuum to clean it out the best you can, maybe wipe it with some paper towels. Also get a damprid moisture capture container, I have one in my truck it really helps with odors and dampness.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Wish the newer trucks had them My 02 did and it worked great My 08 gets all the leaf's and they just go right through the vents.. Just GM going Cheap again.......
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    Wish the newer trucks had them My 02 did and it worked great My 08 gets all the leaf's and they just go right through the vents.. Just GM going Cheap again.......
    I wish mine had them, now my fear has a possibility of coming true. An angry bee coming through the vent and attacking me lol. In my 2006 Mazda6 I found a dead red wasp in the filter, scared the tar out of me!