GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Recirculate button

I have a 1996 Chevy Cheyenne, single cab, short bed. I was driving through some construction the other day with the windows rolled up, air conditioning on, and recirculate button light was on. I still smelled the tar like my windows were down. Is this normal or is the vent blocking outside air broken?
    2005 Chevrolet Silverado

That is normal..i think?...there will always be some air that gets thru even when you have the recirculate button on...not alot just enough to notice

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Crew Cab "All-Star Edition"

Line-X'd Bed
    Line-X'd Custom Brush Guard(Heavy Duty)
    5.3L Flex Fuel
    275/65R18 Toyo Open Country AT2's
    2" Rough Country Leveling Kit(want to get the 2.5 RC kit)
    EGR In-Channel Vent Visors
    Exterior PLUS Package
    Interior PLUS Package
    K&N Drop-In Air Filter
    ProFlaps
    Cat-Back Dual Exhaust
    Black Bowties
    Diablo Sport Predator(AFM Disabled)
    ProFlaps
    Towing Mirrors
    Next Planned Mods
    Blacked out Tail Lights
    Aftermarket Rims

With recirculate on it shouldnt pick up any outside air, but if the systems doors arent closing all the way (which is a common problem after a while) you'll get outside air in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    With recirculate on it shouldnt pick up any outside air, but if the systems doors arent closing all the way (which is a common problem after a while) you'll get outside air in the mix.
    So this can be fixed if I take it into a dealer right?

Yea a dealership should be able to fix the problem.
    Have you looked under the dash and made sure everythings hooked up right and and moving like it should?
    This could be as simple as a disconnect or maybe debris in the doors path etc.

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    Yea a dealership should be able to fix the problem.
    Have you looked under the dash and made sure everythings hooked up right and and moving like it should?
    This could be as simple as a disconnect or maybe debris in the doors path etc.
    I can check that. A while ago we took it in because the vent under the dash stayed open the whole time unless you turn the A/C or heater on to the upper vents. We figured out that that was normal but they said the thing that closed the vents that let outside air in was broken so that vent wasn't closing. We told them to fix that but apparently they didn't, so I will find that receipt and take it back.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

A strong smell like Tar or a Skunk you will never block in a Truck like ours..The Strong smell will sep in everywhere..Just live with it and after you pass the area just open the windows..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    A strong smell like Tar or a Skunk you will never block in a Truck like ours..The Strong smell will sep in everywhere..Just live with it and after you pass the area just open the windows..
    Also, the air conditioning gets cooler when I am not moving. On the freeway it is a lot warmer. This makes me believe that air from the outside is coming in with the air conditioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    Quoted for truth...