GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Help!

Default Help!

My friend has a 1984 silverado and the battery is fully charged and when u turn the key it wont even make a noise. we tried to jump it off but it didnt work. any ideas of what we could do to fix it.
    2007 Chevy
    Reg cab
    2wd
    4.3 v6
    32'' bfgoodrich all terrains

If they don't sing, they don't sling.

I would start by using a test light to see if you are getting power to the starter and checking the connections at the starter. I have seen the nut come off the stud that hold the power wire, and the nut that holds the solenoid wire. If these became loose or disconnected, then it will not crank. If you are getting power to the starter then pull it off and have an autoparts store test it, they do it free.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

thankyou i was looking for the starter but i dont no what it looks like is it at the top right of the engine compartment?

Your post didn't include whether the truck was automatic or stick, but if none of Pikey's suggestions above turn out to be the problem, check for issues with a neutral safety switch or relay, or the switch on the clutch pedal that prevents starting if the pedal isn't pressed all the way down. Also the wiring for these circuits. I once had a minivan that wouldn't start like you described because the neutral safety switch connector on the transmission had backed out just enough to lose contact.

Good luck!
    csltrains96
    Myself, my beautiful wife
    3 - boys
    3 - minivans
    1 - '89 Chevy K2500 Silverado Truck
    1 - 27 foot travel trailer
    Not enough family time!

You did not mention what motor it is. No, the starter is not on the top right. It should be located on the passenger side of the motor on near the bottom, just above the oil pan.

alright its an automatic with the 5.o liter im going to try to find it today i think i ight have seen it last night over the oil pan.