GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Changing out 40/60 seats to bucket seats...Is it possible????

I have a 1996 GMC Suburban, after letting her sit up for 2 years and me talking my wife into keeping her instead of getting a new truck, I wanted to do some modifications to her.

I have 40/60 front and rear seats, but I want to do bucket or captain chairs for both front and rear, but especially the front so I can add a center console. I know GMC Chevy and Cadillacs between 1992-99 parts will fit on each other. But I can't see it being possible for bucket seats..

Does anyone know whether this exchange is possible and if so how?????

Well if the parts exist then its possible. Even if you used early 2000's they should fit its all about mounting points in the cab. You may not be able to switch out the rear most seats but 2nd row should be easy.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

I am pretty sure that they will fit. The best thing I could recommend would be to find the seats that you want to put in and check out the seat track mounts. See how they bolt to the floor. Then look at what you have now. Gm did not make the floor pan any different between trucks that had a bench and trucks with buckets. So, You may have to purchase a new bracket of some sort. But, it is possible.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

They fit, I did this mod on my 97 Suburban a few years ago, we put the interior from a 2003 Caddi into my 97 Suburban, door panels, seats, carpets, etc.
    For the seats depending on what you have and what version you get there may be some wiring to change and some seat mount points match while a few are off.
    For mounting points instead of making new seat brackets I chose to drill and strengthen new mount points, I did the strengthening by sandwiching the floor between 16ga pieces of scrap metal, seat belt mounting points matched up.
    All GM Suburban/Escalade etc seats have the same mount points for the same year.

Switching from split bench seats to buckets with a center console will require drilling new holes in the floor for the inboard bolts and console bolts. They will fit and work well. Mine came with buckets and I changed them out with a split bench.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Do you have any photos of this mod??? I would love to see 2003 interior in a 97 Burb... Did you use the 2003 console as well?

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    They fit, I did this mod on my 97 Suburban a few years ago, we put the interior from a 2003 Caddi into my 97 Suburban, door panels, seats, carpets, etc.
    For the seats depending on what you have and what version you get there may be some wiring to change and some seat mount points match while a few are off.
    For mounting points instead of making new seat brackets I chose to drill and strengthen new mount points, I did the strengthening by sandwiching the floor between 16ga pieces of scrap metal, seat belt mounting points matched up.
    All GM Suburban/Escalade etc seats have the same mount points for the same year.

Yea we used the console as well, I cant find any pictures right now.