GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Anybody make there own headlight mod kit?

I am wondering if anybody has made there own headlight mod kit yet? The mod where both lights are one when the high beams are turned on. If it was warmer I would figure it out but being in the 20s during the days lately it is a little chilly. And no garage to work in.
    May be I'll do a write up on it.

Tim

Blog Entries

There are several ways to do it. I have read this on another forum that I belong to. I forget what year your Burb is though so it might be different.
    Last edited by dwill3015; 01-14-2008 at 11:01 AM.
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

Former Member

Here is a link to the actual kit. I'm sure if you're handy you can look at the picture and "DIY" http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts.as...d_prod_ids=132

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JayMack75 View Post
    Here is a link to the actual kit. I'm sure if you're handy you can look at the picture and "DIY" http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts.as...d_prod_ids=132
    Excellent! I did not know you could just buy the kit.

I've been thinking about hand-building this mod. It doesn't look to be too difficult, and the parts list shouldn't be astronomical, I just haven't gotten around to building the circuit and testing. If/when I get around to it, I'll post the write-up. Britebox is another brand of box that'll do the job.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Former Member

Quote Originally Posted by dwill3015 View Post
    Excellent! I did not know you could just buy the kit.
    Yep! I got one for my burban and I love it. I got HIDs and now I don't need it.

Thumbs up It's easy -- go for it

I'm a newbie here, and this is my first post here, so please be gentile...

I'm a grandfather and don't see as well at night as I used to. So, when I upgraded to brighter (but legal) bulbs on the old 'Burb, I converted to "quad-high" as well. Late at night, on a deserted highway, it makes a quantum difference.

What I did:
    With the new bulbs it seemed prudent to provide additional power for the quad set-up. Selecting the appropriate Bosch-type relay will provide everything you need to accomplish the desired switching. There are kits available, but they might not be exactly what you want. Add a wire, a fuse, and some connectors and you have all that's necessary.

1. Determine a good position for your relay -- closer to the headlights than the firewall and along the existing harness.

2. Select a power source and run a new, fused, wire to the relay area. Fish the headlight wires from the OEM convoluted cover.

Note: You have two mounting options with a Bosch relay: you can get a socket with pigtails, and plug the relay into the socket. Or, just get some female spade lugs, crimp and go. The socket also provides a mechanical anchor for the relay. The second method saves you from having to splice the socket's pig tails, but you'll have to anchor the relay directly (it has a screw hole). But, make sure there is enough slack in the existing wires if you're going with the pig-tailless method.

3. Connect to the relay as shown in the diagram. As you can see, this is a simple application of a SPDT relay. Here's what's happening: At low beam, the power passes thru the relay at it's "rest" position. When you switch to high beam, the high beam power is OEM except it's tapped to activate the relay. This provides the alternate power for the low beams without a cross-connection = quad light. With this set up, even if the relay fails or is removed, you'll still have light.

Are we having fun, yet?

That post was great. We're not really the newbie bashing type around here. What bulbs did you upgrade to?
    Dan
    1999 GMC Sierra 2500 350 vortec
    1967 Jeep M725 ambulance 230 tornado
    1990 Cherokee Limited- 3 inch lift on 33's
    ...and every one of em has issues

If you have any questions or problems don't hesitate to send me or any other GMTC moderators a PM

Quote Originally Posted by 95CTburb19 View Post
    That post was great. We're not really the newbie bashing type around here. What bulbs did you upgrade to?
    GP Thunder, Super-White 9006 55W & 9005 65W by Global Premier. They claim to be 7500K w/ quartz glass. The OEM's were 51W and 60W Sylvanias. I've run the new quads for several hours, and the lamp lenses don't get overly warm.
    I just checked eBay, and they are now available for about half what I paid.

Zippy, don't you have the 87 and 87a reversed. Isn't the 87 always on and the 87a when the coil is energized? Great write up anyways, that is exactly the way I was thinking of doing it.

Tim
    04 Yukon Denali XL 6.0 AWD
    95 Explorer XLT Off roader
    89 Lincoln Town Car pro-touring project
    94 Mercury Grand Marquis
    08Harley Fatboy 96ci
    08 Harley XL1200N Nightster

Don't blame me I didn't vote for him

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by