GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Engine issues

San Angelo most of the time, Houston at others

Default Engine issues

Hey guys. I know I haven't posted anything here in a while, but I've been busy and I need some ideas for things to look at on my 'burban. This was the first place I thought of to ask. First off, it's a 98 1500 4x4, 5.7, mostly stock. Had the truck since January of this year. Ran like crap, but it's running almost new now. Although there are still a few issues I can't figure out.

Here's what has been done so far...

New Magnaflow cats (dual exhaust)
    Used Flowmaster mufflers
    3 new O2 sensors, 4th one wasn't throwing a code (it's the one after the cat on driver side)
    New plugs, wires, cap, etc
    New thermostat (3 times)
    New temp sensors (one in thermostat housing, one in block on driver side)
    New fuel injectors (the upgrade mpfi setup)
    New air filter
    A couple oil changes (just because I drive it every day)
    Cleaned plenum and upper intake when I changed injectors
    Cleaned MAF sensor with that MAF sensor spray stuff (can't think of the name right now)
    New PCV valve

I think that's it. If I think of anything I'll put it in a new post.

Here's the issue...
    When I first start it, the engine wants to hesitate a little. After about 2 or 3 minutes it clears up. Doesn't matter if the engine is cold or warmed up. If I turn it off, it does it again upon startup. Could have only been sitting 5 minutes and it'll do it. After it clears, she runs like a champ. Still throwing lean codes on bank 2, the reason I changed out both O2 sensors on that side. I inspected the wires and from what I can see of them they look fine. Even took a look a some vacuum lines and the few that I found looked good.
    Second issue, going by the gauge, when it's warming up, the temp goes up to about 255 deg before the thermostat opens. After that, it goes back down to 210, then up to 220 and stays. 3 different thermostats did the same thing. I replaced the temp sensors because one of them was not working properly. Gauge would never get past 125 deg. Some of the research I did said this may be causing the lean issue, but it's still doing it. Thinking one of those may be an out of box failure, but I'm not sure.

Sorry for the long post, but as you can tell, I've got a couple issues and running out of things to check. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    1998 K1500 Suburban
    1977 Chevelle Malibu

"I'm proud to defend your right to be an idiot!" From a friend in the military.

are you using the fail safe thermostats? running that cool could cause it to run funny. @moogvo can explain what the computer does when it is running cold better than I can. I did not see fuel filter change on your list

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Yes they are fail safe thermostats. Supposed to open at 195 deg. I'm ok with it running at around 220, just wondering why the hell it's going up to 255 before it opens up. I was thinking at one point that maybe my dumb butt put it in upside down, but that wasn't the case. I know it's in there right.

Yea, there was a new fuel filter done. Thought I put it on there.

btw, Thanks for the relply Pikey

Quote Originally Posted by BoneHead View Post
    Yes they are fail safe thermostats. Supposed to open at 195 deg. I'm ok with it running at around 220, just wondering why the hell it's going up to 255 before it opens up. I was thinking at one point that maybe my dumb butt put it in upside down, but that wasn't the case. I know it's in there right.

Yea, there was a new fuel filter done. Thought I put it on there.

btw
    I have NEVER had luck with the fail safe. Every time I have used them They have done exactly what yours are doing. They got warm, opened up and then stayed open never letting the vehicle get back to correct operating temp. I would try putting a regular thermostat in and see if that solves the temp issue. That might help with some of the running issues also.
    Last edited by Pikey; 09-26-2012 at 07:44 AM.

I'll do that. Hopefully the rain will hold off long enough for me this weekend. Although we desperately need it here. I pray I'm not putting a jinx on us saying that.