GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Water leaks and bed panels

I was wondering how durable the Avalanche bed panels are over time with hot summers and cold winters to deal with?A friend had a 2007 Avalanche but the cargo bay leaked all the time.He had it in to the dealer multiple times but they could never find where it was leaking.Finally he traded it in.Are water leaks common on this truck? If i bought an Avalanche it would be for 10+ years thats why i have concerns over the bed panels and water leaks.

Thanks

My 05 rarely ever leaks. If it is pouring rain, it may get a tiny bit wet. There is a rubber type channel that runs just under the lip of the inside of the panels. That channel should let the water run out the back and dump i believe. The problem with mine is those things detachhed a long time ago and arent working like they should.

Let's be practical, 3 flat panels set into the lip of a truck bed, each panel is framed in rubber, when assembled, you have rubber pressed into rubber. You wouldn't live in a house that had a roof made in this manor. Yep, it's gonna leak.

But, it's a whole lot dryer than the open bed of a pickup.

I try to park mine with the nose a little higher than the rear, to let the water run off.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

My only issue is my Panel #3 sags a bit, and water pools up untill it slowly leaks between the tailgate and the panel's seal.
    All-in-all, however, 99.8% of the bed stays dry...lol
    2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Z66 WBH, AVS smoked rain guards, AVS smoked bug shield, Bose 6-disk CD changer, Bully Fire Strip w/ Sequential turn, 6 on-high, amber DRLs, tinted euro tails, Pace Setter Performance Dual Exhaust, K&N CAI, GlowShift gauges in dual pillar pod.

I had my truck stolen last year and got some replacement ones...they leak HORRIBLY!!! Stupid used covers. I tried to adjust the tailgate a little bit but there was not enough in it to seal it up.