1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

'01 1500 5.3L Fuel Gauge Issues Says "Empty"

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by PondWarrior, Feb 2, 2012.

1. PondWarrior

PondWarrior New Member

My truck is a 2001 Silverado 1500 4x4 with a 5.3L
    It's been running great but the fuel gauge has been having some issues, while I'm driving it works perfectly fine and has a proper reading..
    But whenever I'm at Idle or parked the gauge will move around a lot and eventually go to "E" and my fuel light will come on saying "low fuel".
    Has anyone else experienced this issue before and do you have any tips on how to fix it?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    PondWarrior
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Sounds like you have the common and typical problem with the 99-2006 Gm trucks with the fuel sending units going out. The wires to the sending unit along with the reostat get corroded by the gas, and over time it quits.
  3. jnt412

jnt412 New Member

It could be the sending unit or it could be the instrument cluster itself.
  4. murdog94

The instrument cluster is much less likely, that and the guage reading when driving sound more like the sending unit due to the stopped fuel sloshing in the tank moving the wires about.
    Though the only for sure way is to trouble shoot it,
  5. donyms

donyms Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I had the same problem on my 2000 LS and it was the sending unit, also had a couple of friends with 99-02 Silverados with the same problem and was the sending unit. I'm not sure but my guess would be the sending unit or maybe your out of gas. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. PondWarrior

PondWarrior New Member

So do you have any suggestions about how to replace the unit? I've also heard a rumour from a family friend that it could be a "ground" problem.
    My dad had an issue with that in his '06 duramax.
  7. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Sounds like the sending unit in the tank. Run 2 to 3 tank fulls of gas with the additive Techron by Chevron. This will sometimes fix the sending unit. They will corrode over time and this product will recondition the corrosion. if that doesnt work you will eventually have to replace it. Good Luck

567967b.jpg
  8. murdog94

What RedZ71 said, or else yes you will have to replace the unit as the corrosion has caused everything to be bad not just the ground. The only way to replace the unit is to drop the fuel tank.
  9. msvx95

msvx95 Member

I had the same thing while sitting idle at an ATM...full tank of gas...turned my head..looked at dash and gage was reading low fuel, but 1 second later it jumped back to Full