01 1500 Pitman Arm replacing

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by blue whale, Apr 18, 2008.

1. blue whale

blue whale New Member

I need pointers on replacing my pitman arm .It is a 2x4 01' 1500 suburban. Any been there done that tips appreciated.

Thanks

2. chevyman1297

chevyman1297 New Member

pitman arm replacement

Not an easy task, however not too difficult. Dont look at the repair manual if you have one, it will tell u to basically dissasemble the front suspension. Easiest way is to use a small grinder with a cutting wheel and split the side of the old pitman arm and then use a long rod to beat it off from above, then use a 1 1/8 wrench(i think) to slowly pull the new pitman arm back up onto the shaft. Shouldnt have to remove anything but the sway bar, skid plates, and left front tire. It will require some force to remove the old one, dont be scared to get a little rough.

Jason

3. dave23

dave23 New Member

Does that apply to a 98 sierra gmc 1500, do I fix it the same way

4. countryboy73703

countryboy73703 Rockstar

you can do it that way, I replaced the arm on my 98, but I didn't cut anything, I just loosened the castle nut, and used a hammer, like the guy above said, don't be afraid to get rough with it, just make sure that it's the old pitman arm that your hitting, and then on the new pitman arm, just manuver it into place, and use the castle nut to set it in it's seat, and push the cotter pin thru, you may need an alignment depending on the conditions

5. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

get a pitman arm puller makes life way easier