1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

01 1500 rear brake calipers

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by rvpc, Apr 18, 2010.

Random Gallery Photos

1. rvpc

rvpc New Member

are these aluminum rear calipers junk or is it me? today i installed new, pads, rotors, reman calipers. and bled the rears. the old pads were worn inconsistently. inboard pads were shot. outboards were hardly worn. about 14K miles since last replacement.

is there to much flex in the calipers?

or is it because they are single piston calipers?

is it possible to upgrade to 1500HD dual piston bakes?

is a cast iron single piston caliper available?

also the brake pedal still seems mushy. when i bled the brakes i used a QT of dot 3 brake fluid thru the rears. i bought this truck used in 2007 from a dealer and they had installed new brakes then. i seem to remember the pedal being firmer then. did i miss something while working on it? im 48 yo and have been doing my own brakes, tune ups, water pumps, alternators, tstats and so on since i was 15 yo. basic stuff i can handle.

any thoughts, suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

thanks in advance, dave.
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  2. jedepsub

jedepsub New Member

Did you bleed the RR last?
  3. rvpc

rvpc New Member

no. first.
  4. BillNH

BillNH New Member

I don't think GM was very proud of there rear disk brakes in there trucks. I changed my rear pads more often than the fronts. Thats not right. I think its corrosion that caused the issues.
  5. rvpc

rvpc New Member

after driving for a couple of days, maybe break in took longer than expected. i do recall, when bleeding, that i was watching pads touch rotors the inboard was touching rotor and the outboard pad had visible day light between. looked at aftermarket rear calipers and they are near $700. for complete system. what to do.