01 2500 HD 6.0 Mass Airflow

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by The2500HD, Jul 7, 2007.

1. The2500HD

The2500HD New Member

The other day i was checking my air filter on my 01 Silverado 2500HD and I noticed the mass airflow screen. Now Im probably cheap for thinking this but can the mesh cover be taken off or will it mess up the MAF sensor, the screen is restrictive and I dont want to drop the bucks for a aftermarket one, I was just wondering if it can be done or how stupid of an Idea is it. Feel free to let me have it
    thanks, Ben

2. NHSilverado

NHSilverado Former Member

You can descreen a MAF but I would not bother. it is at best 50/50 as far as those who have done it feeling it did anything and honestly I hear more "it did nothing" than "it helped".

Too expensive of a part to mess with IMO. It is not going to do much if anything for you. BTW - neither will buying an aftermarket Hi-Perf MAF. Unless you have major HP/Performance mod's the OE MAF is all you need.

3. The2500HD

The2500HD New Member

Isnt the mesh restrictive though, I heard if you remove it, it will give you 180 more CFM flow?

4. turkey

turkey New Member

Yes there is a slight restriction from the screen, but the screen is intended to protect the sensors. For the 180cfm difference, if that number is correct, I am guessing that is on a flowbench in "ideal" conditions. Through an airfilter and intake tube with turns, there will not be an added 180cfm getting into the engine. The limiting factor it what the airfilter is capable of flowing.

If you take the sensor out and look from the motor side you will see three very fine resistors. The screen is to protect them. If you decide to descreen your sensor, be careful to not hit the wires, and make sure your air filter has a good seal.

I have descreened mine in 3 different vehicles and have seen slightly improved throttle response and a very slight mpg increase, but for the risk of damaging the sensor I don't reccomend it if you have no experience dismantling it.