1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

01 2500hd BIG BLOCK JUST SHUTS DOWN

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by elvis, Dec 25, 2009.

1. elvis

elvis New Member

Hello yes i am new to the site thanks for reading my post. My question is what would cause my truck to shut down while i am driving it at slow speeds but when it dies if i try to starting it right away it will only turn over.If i let it sit for 20 sec. it will start right back up . It only has happed 5 times in 6 month period.
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Check the fuel system, filter first then do a pressure test.
  3. elvis

elvis New Member

i replaced the filter 1 year ago. the fuel pump 6 months ago. thanks
  4. Rocketron

Rocketron New Member

There was a recall on the TPS (throttle position sensor or cam position sensor - was a while ago and can't remember the exact name) so check out to make certain your truck was done. In the past I was experiencing the same until it was done.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  5. daddytech

daddytech Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

might also check the distributor cap on that thing too there may be a smallish crack in it that opens up when the truck is hot and then closes when it cools again. may be way off base with that one but i just had similar symptoms with my 99 tahoe and it was the cap causing the problem the whole time.
  6. Loggerhead Mike

Loggerhead Mike Rockstar 100 Posts

what codes is it throwing?

dont play a guessing game throwing parts at it

hows your t/b look? probably coated with carbon i'd assume. probably going to need a carbon clean
  7. Rocketron

Rocketron New Member

Some may not consider researching the VIN for recall information as throwing a part at it when the problem described is the exact symptoms written into the TSB that was issued. Look it up, the recall work should have been previously done (at GM's expense) so no harm either way... You can also check for codes too, no one said get "X" part and install to absolutely solve the issue, it was a recommendation to further investigate. As far as the approach on the carbon clean, that might be on the books as a recommended Goodwrench procedure, but I assure you it is a purely subjective topic. Bad things can and do soemtimes happen during those steps. To risk having a chunk of carbon get lodged between the piston and the cylinder wall while firing and score that surface is not worthy of the effort. No thanks, not during the life of my truck and I don't think I'd recommend it to others regardless of what GM says.