01 2500hd .. rear diff cover ??

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by quicksilver8817, Aug 13, 2012.

1. quicksilver8817

quicksilver8817 Rockstar 100 Posts

i need to change the fluid in my rear diff and would also like to change the cover to one of the ribbed covers .. any suggestions?

2. Boonduff

Boonduff Member 3 Years 100 Posts

Mag-Hytec makes some really nice diff covers and tranny pans.

3. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

x2....on Going with a Mag-Hytec Diff Cover, not only do I have their Diff Cover, but also their Deep Transmission Pan, installed on my Truck, IMO they are the Best Ones on the Market,

http://www.mag-hytec.com/differential.htm

4. quicksilver8817

do they have a drain and fill plug?

5. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Ive got a "Perfect Launch" rear diff. cover made by Proform but havent installed it yet. These covers have the 2 bolts that stabilize your bearings. They also have the drain and fill plug in them and are somewhat stylish. A bit on the pricey side at around $150 for our trucks. I will give some feedback in a few weeks since mine is going to be installed along with my new gears a week from Friday.
    [​IMG]
    PROFORM/SPECIALTY AUTO PARTS

Proform/Specialty Auto Parts has added this aggressively designed, super lightweight Perfect Launch differential cover to its ever-growing line of GM and Ford performance parts. Less weight equals more speed, so lighten up your rearend with these Perfect Launch reinforced diff covers. They have been specifically designed to add strength to the rear housing case, which is particularly important during heavy torque situations. Each Perfect Launch cover includes two bolts to stabilize bearing main caps, two magnetic drain plugs and cover mounting bolts for your application. These covers are available for the GM 10-bolt (P/N 66668), the GM 12-bolt (P/N 69502) and the Ford 8.8-inch (P/N 69501) rearends.
    Proform/Specialty Auto Parts

6. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Yes....the Diff Cover has a......Magnetic Drain Plug, Fill Plug and a Lube Level Reference Plug.
    [TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  7. quicksilver8817

i kinda like the perfect launch one

8. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Quicks- Its going to be a couple weeks now before I put mine on. GM is still looking into for me about the lift and tires that came on my truck when it was new and it was not re-geared. So im waiting on responses from them if they are going to do anything for me because of this. So I have decided to wait on my regear until I get final words from them. Let me say that im not holding my breath and am not expecting anything from them. Although information on warranty is my biggest concern and want to know if I was lied to and misinformed from the dealer I purchased my truck from. I will update as soon as I get mine on.

9. quicksilver8817

well the only reason im gonna change mine is because when my truck was taken to valvoline by my friend who owned the truck prior to me they rounded out the drain plug on the diff and refused to take responsibility for it .. so id like to change the cover to one that has the drain plugs on it .. i really like the afe one or ppe.. how do i know which differential i have ?

Attached Files:

10. quicksilver8817

also i read somewhere that using synthetic in the differential is bad however the haynes book says to use 75w90 synthetic gear lube? .. also do i need to add an additive if i have limited slip?