Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

01 chevy 2500hd tranny is reaching temps of 220 degrees

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by hondarider203, Aug 20, 2012.

1. hondarider203

hondarider203 New Member

Ok currently my truck has 165000 miles on it I use it to pull trailers of all sizes open deck and enclosed I also plow snow with this truck... At 125,000 the origanal tranny went I took it in and had a bran new jasper tranny put in the truck cost was like 3200 not cheap I got about 7000miles out of the tranny when it over heated 3 hours from home I was pulling an empty 16' utility trailer. Long story short they have put 5 trannys in my truck and 5 new external coolers on my truck each time being bigger then the last jasper has paid for all of them so far but my tranny still is running at about 175 just driving the truck down the road if I put any kind of trailer behind it it runes up to and sometimes over 200 degrees I don't think that sounds right how can I get the tranny to cool down more and faster I can't afford another one or a new truck any ideas would be great please help

2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

You can add a deep transmission pan it will store more fluid lowering the temp. Also you can add an aux cooling fan over the cooler with a temp fitting that turns the fan on at a certain temp. Also if you are still routing the tranny fluid through the cooler in the radiator it may be raising the temp because the engine runs at much higher temps that the tranny should.

3. hondarider203

hondarider203 New Member

As far as I know the cooler on the tranny is not hooked up because jasper didn't want it inline. Now I have replaced the thermostate in my truck some time ago and my truck runs at about 180 consistantly the external granny cooler is infront of my radiator is it possible that my fan cannot pull enough to pull air through the cooler and the radiator??

4. hondarider203

hondarider203 New Member

Sorry my mistake it is run through the new tranny cooler not the original on the side of the radiator

5. Conlan Rose

Yes it is possible it is not drawing enought air through. As I said the best solution is a thin aux fan in front of the cooler you can also buy a temp sending unit that turns the fan on only as needed. If you want I can post a link to one on amazon.

6. hondarider203

hondarider203 New Member

Yes please do are they hard to install and is if this doesn't help then I should look into a bigger tranny pan??

7. Conlan Rose

http://www.amazon.com/PROCOMP-ELECT...TF8&colid=1E831K0KKHXY1&coliid=I22245FIQVU3B2
    There is the 12 in which is out of stock :grrrrrr: I was gonna get two for my Tahoe. They should be easy to install, but you need to make sure there is enought room for it to fit. If you scroll down on the page you will see other fans from other companys.
    http://www.amazon.com/Derale-16738-...TF8&colid=1E831K0KKHXY1&coliid=I2WWCBQOY2R5HD
    This is link for the temp switch.

Hope it helps, darn now i need to find new fans for my truck that will fit those were going to be perfect.

8. hondarider203

hondarider203 New Member

I really can't thank you enough for the help ill try it out and hope it will fix my problem because it really only goes up in town or long grades on the high way intown is the biggest issue though so I hope more air flow will help thanks again

9. Conlan Rose

1 person likes this.