01 Ext Cab 3500 Dually, 8.1 Engine, Fuel Pump Replacing

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by ASK, Aug 22, 2014.

1. ASK

ASK New Member

My 01 with 130,000 miles used to start when I bumped the key to the start position. Over the years I have changed to turn to on for several seconds, then off and back to on, several times. I can hear the pump sound change as it pressurizes the fuel system. Then hit start and it starts great. Obviously the pump is NOT holding pressure and prevents the engine from starting right up.

I have seen and watched several videos of how to replace the pump. Some by raising the bed, some by lowering the tank, others showing cutting a hole in the floorboard directly above the tank where the sending unit/pump go into the tank. This sounds like the easiest way but I never found anything that shows where and what size to cut the hole.

Any experienced pump changers out there with suggestions would be appreciated.

If anyone has other suggestions besides the pump I would love to hear them.

2. labarn

labarn New Member

I had your truck. Two winters ago a couple parked across from us that had your truck. He was leaving Yuma when he had a missing truck so back to Yuma and $999.00 later he had a new fuel pump in his tank. I was shocked at the cost of a fuel pump. I wish I could give you good information.
    chevman

3. ASK

ASK New Member

Thanks for the reply...Rockauto has several types of pumps for around $200.00. The access to the tank and removal of the old pump assembly is the hard part. I just need some encouragement as to the way to get the old one out and the new one in.