1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

01 fog lights

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by chevyscotty, Aug 9, 2014.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. chevyscotty

chevyscotty New Member

I have a 01 2500hd that have fake fog light inserts and I want to put actual fog lights in. It has the plug to plug in the lights In but I don't know if I have to ad a switch to actually turn them on or will they come on automatically?

2. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I have an 01 1500 with fog lamps and they are turned on by a switch. I would imagine the 2500 from that year would be the same. You may want to check the RPO codes in your glove box and see if one of those indicates automatic fog lamps or regular. Although, if your truck didn't come with the lamps already, it may not have any RPO codes that relate to fog lamps.

3. chevyscotty

chevyscotty New Member

Well everything's there for the lights. It just looks like they are fake lights I'll show u a pic when I get up. But the plugs there to plug the lights in I just don't know if they come on automatically

4. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Fog lights never come on automatically, you need a switch to operate. Did your truck come with the switch, I don't know, you need to check the owner's manual to find the location of the switch. It may be part of the headlight switch assembly and your switch assembly probably doesn't have it. You may need to change the switch assembly (if that is where the switch is located).

5. chevyscotty

chevyscotty New Member

No it doesn't have any switch that I ever saw

6. chevyscotty

chevyscotty New Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407675338.018368.jpg . Here is the lamp that's in it now

7. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

As RayVoy has mentioned above, for the Factory/OEM Fog Lights to Work, you would need to have the Combo"Cargo Light Switch/Fog Light Switch" and it Looks like the One Below.....

[​IMG]

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="colspan: 2, align: right"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Pikey likes this.
  8. chevyscotty

chevyscotty New Member

Yes I actually have that and my fog lights don't work. I feel the lights aren't there cause there's no bulbs haha.

9. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Well.....Buy a Fog Light Bulb, and Install it....if it Lights-Up, then your Good to Go.....then you would want to Buy New Fog Light Housing's, as the One in the Picture, has No Lens.

Pikey likes this.
  10. chevyscotty

chevyscotty New Member

I actually bought new lights with housings 2 days ago