1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

01 gmc sonoma wont start/any help appreciated

Discussion in 'Chevy S10 Forum (GMC Sonoma)' started by jessica714, Jul 30, 2012.

1. jessica714

jessica714 New Member

Hi everyone,
    Names Jessica from orange county. Just wanted to get some opinions with a problem with my 01 gmc sonoma sls 2.2 truck. Ive had it for about a year now and it has 111,000 miles on it. Went to start it up last week after work and won't start. First thing that came to mind was my battery. Radio,lights(doesn't dim),cigarette lighter, dome light on the inside all work fine. Just for kicks i had someone try to jump start me. Nothing. So next I assumed starter. Went to Oreillys and bought a new starter and installed it. After I installed it the car started up like a champ. Been running just fine with no problems for a week and today it crapped out on me again. Oh one more thing I did have my car radio on during lunch for about 15-30mins.

Put key in ignition, turn, and i hear a slight buzzing sound, then i hear which sounds like its coming from the starter relay click but still nothing. At my wits end right now but any help would be greatly appreciated!! :great:

Jess
  2. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to the G M T C ! I'm not a "gear head", but hopefully you will get an answer before too long. It sounds to me like possibly a "ground" problem, considering it ran for a week. Good luck!
  3. jessica714

jessica714 New Member

Why thank you :)
    Just thought i would update of what happened today. Went back to my truck this morning which was sitting overnight. Started up no problem. Drove it to the gas station to buy cigs(since this has been stressing me out! :grrrrrr:) During my lunch break, tried to start it and nothing AGAIN. The relay seems to be clicking. I popped the hood to locate the alternator. There's a skinny red wire thats connected to a plug that plugs into the alternator. Wiggled that around. Started up 3 times in a row. Fast forward to the end of the day. Again, nothing at all.

Any input at all is welcome!

this might be a noob question but how or could i check if it was a "grounding" problem?