01 sierra fuel guage issues

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by chola, Aug 21, 2008.

1. chola

chola New Member

I know it's more than likely the sending unit that needs to be repalced,but I am very confused as to why whenever I shift the truck into neutral after drving forward, that the guage reads where it should?
    It'll vary between empty and full...once ya start driving it,it'll read low fuel in the message window, I just shift up to neutral for a second or two and then back to drive...the guage will read and function fine until ya turn it off
    Any thoughts?

2. MB3

MB3 New Member

dude ive had the same thing happen in my 01 silverado

usually i just have to remember the last time i filled up and set the trip odometer

if anyone knows why this is happening and if theres an easy fix, itd be a great help to both of us.

3. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Check recall on your vehicles. I have learned that this is somewhat of a common issue, even for as far down as my vehicle ('99) but it seems there's a recall for gauge problems and if memory serves me correctly it could be for your year vehicle. I'm sure someone with more information will post and let you know for sure.

If/when you get the issue solved be sure to come back here and let us know so we can pass the word along to others that may have the same problem!

4. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

haha that happens on my 99 sierra as well. I do the same thing, get gas every 340 miles. :lol:

5. 98GMCSierra1500

98GMCSierra1500 New Member

I have the same problem with my 98 sierra, but shifting into neutral doesn't help.... I just use the trip odometer and get gas after 300 miles... I'm pretty sure there isn't a recall for my truck, and I'm not really sure what could be wrong...

6. kaiah723

kaiah723 Rockstar

similar thing happened to my blazer except when i put it in neutral the guage would bounce from full to empty and i could make it stop were i wanted by putting it in gear. i replaced the fuel pump and fixed the problem. seems to be a common problem.

7. jeremysr10

jeremysr10 New Member

I had the same problem with my 00 silverado. It would show full or empty with a low fuel light. I used the odometer for a while. Then I took it to the dealer and they told me that the gauge was bad. In order to fix they said I need to replace the whole instrument consule. They said it was like $400 because they would have to send the old one out and verify the mileage and then put that mileage on the new console odometer. I dedided to take it to a local mechanic and he said it was the sending unit and stated it was a common problem. He recommended replacing the fuel pump because the sending unit comes with a new fuel pump. No need to buy a sending unit and them have to buy a fuel pump a year later. I had him replace the fuel pump and sending unit and I replaced the fuel filter. That fixed the problem. I still cannot believe thedealership tried to convince me to by a $400 replacement console. It seems like they should have known about the fuel pump/sending unit issue.

8. ukrkoz

ukrkoz Rockstar 100 Posts

and exactly how much did it cost you to replace sending unit and pump?

9. chola

chola New Member

fuel sending unit

Sorry for the delay,been awhile

I am actually gonna drop my tank out....remove the sending unit and see if I can't clean the copper contacts. I had a look at one at the auto wreckers and it looked pretty straihgt forward.

I been told that they build of with tarnish or a varnish of some sort due to some types of fuel that was used back in the day. I can't see why ya just couldn't "dung" it off

I figured no harm in trying as I will probably just swap the whole unit out when money becomes a little more of a "non-issue"

I'll post results when I get 'er finished.

10. rph74

rph74 New Member

I'm told by my GMC tech buddy that it is very common for the "feet" of the sensors to wear out. Not sure if cleaning the contacts will work or not. I just had him replace the whole fuel pump instead of just doing the level sensor. I figured at 212k it would be good preventative maintenance to replace the fuel pump anyway, while fixing the gas gauge. I was able to find a Delphi fuel pump for $205 at car stuff.com after using the coupon code ready4summer.

If you're going to drop the fuel tank anyway, why not replace the fuel pump, right?