1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

01 silverado 1500 no light no gauge no start!!

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by mychevysucks, Mar 24, 2009.

1. mychevysucks

mychevysucks New Member

sup guys. my 01 silverado is weird now.

it happens radomly but somtimes i would get no lights, no gauge, no dome light, and those ding ding ding noise when you have your door opend wont work eather. and ofcourse wont even crank.

so last time when this happend i got boost off my firends car but all it wanted to do is die again. so. i borrowed a booster pack and drove that thing back. fun time. anyway after when i got this thing running for a while checked a altinator and it was at 16amp or so with batter ternimal off.

what could it be??? :grrrrrr:
  2. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

thats low for an alternator should be atleast 50amp at a min i run a 150amp in my truck
  3. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I'm a little confused about your post. You said 16 amp with the terminal off? Anyway you need to check the charging voltage from the alternator to the battery. The voltage should be at least 14.5 volts with all your accessories running.
  4. mychevysucks

mychevysucks New Member

opps my bad it was 16 volt with the terminal unhooked. not amp lol
    is it gonna b one simple thing as changing the battery? but this battery is as new as 2009.. will it have problem if my battery was juiced out to dead befor?
  5. Rice

Rice New Member

I would try a different battery before anything else.
    If you can boost it and then drive it until the next time you need to start, then the alternator is working and it is most probably a battery issue. It could be defective or shorted out inside for all you know.
    If changing the battery does not solve the problem, I'd check all the ground connections with a continuity tester while wiggling them to see if the contact is loose somewhere.
  6. mjalstad

mjalstad Rockstar 100 Posts

It's sounds like battery or alternator. I would go to a shop to get them both tested. The shop I used to work at charged 24.95 to test a battery and the charging system and took about 10-15 minutes.
  7. Kady

Kady Rockstar GMTC Chick 100 Posts

Does it act like its completely dead even when you put the booster on it? If so, do you have an aftermarket remote starter?
  8. dpscranton

dpscranton New Member

its most likely a bad connection, at least thats what it sounds like... if it is always dead, aqnd needs a boost then it is the battery. if it only happens randomly then you probubly have a bad connection somewhere
  9. mychevysucks

mychevysucks New Member

yep its eather bad connection somewhere or my computer is donzo.

cause when i reset the thing by disconnecting the battery for a while and hooking it back on every problem dissapears... so.. yeah.. guess i have to live with it...