01 Silverado Rear End Noise

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by napiers04, Sep 24, 2009.

Newest Photos

1. napiers04

napiers04 New Member

I have 01 Silverado LS ext cab 4 wheel drive that has started making a whining,roaring noise in the rear end. I stopped by a dealership to find out what kind of rear end it has and all they would tell me is that it is a 3.73. The noise is constant from them time you pull out to stop. Gets louder as you go, quieter as you slow down. Had a service man tell me to fill of the rear end where the outer axle bearing are to see if it felt hot, it didn't. Felt the stump where the bearing are and it was hot, does this mean these bearing are bad? How can I find out what size rea end I have? Any information will help. Thanks Billy
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  2. msvx95

msvx95 Member

Should be a 3:73. I have an 01 as well and when I first owned my truck I had driveshaft, rear end issues.
    I had the yoke assembly replaced twice in the back where the driveshaft connects.

Have the dealership or mechanic check to see if the assembly is in balance or maybe there is too much play in the yoke assembly too.
    You could very well be low on differential fluid.
  3. napiers04

napiers04 New Member

Just changed the carrier bearing, when I pulled the stump out bearing fell out, thought that might be the problem NOT, still got the noise. You ask if it makes a difference if you turn, no it doesn't. It starts as you get going and stops as you slow down. Is there anyway that it could be coming from the transfer case? I got in the back of the truck and listen sound real loud between the bed and cab. This getting very annoying. any help is appreciated
  4. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy New Member 100 Posts

if you think its the transfer case, check the fluid or just go ahead and change it. switch through the 4wd gears too and see if they work fine.
  5. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Try running the Transfer case in neutral and see if the noise is there. Did you check the pinion bearings?