1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

01 Tahoe Trouble Codes

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by nascar1, May 23, 2007.

Random Gallery Photos

1. nascar1

nascar1 New Member

Hey guys,

My 01 Tahoe is showing a "Check Engine" light.
    I remember on some other GM stuff, you could put a paperclip across two pins in the under-the dash receptical and count the blinks. One long one was a 10 and short ones were ones.

Is this still the case and where would this receptical be located in the Tahoe? and just how do you go about it?

Thanks a million for all the past help.
  2. Cableguy

Cableguy New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I've never been a huge fan of doing that. Have you asked a local shop like Napa or whatever to take a reading? IMO I would just get it read right so theres no mistake. More accurate anyway.

Then post back so we can help. Is there something obvious wrong so far?
  3. nascar1

nascar1 New Member

Nothing appears to be going wrong at this point, however, I thought I might have got a smell of rotten gas exhust but not sure it was coming from my Ho.
  4. Cableguy

Rotten egg smell is usually catalitic converter problem. If its choking motor it might throw an SES
  5. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Jumpering pins to get the CEL to flash out trouble codes is the old OBD-1 method. 1996 and up are OBD-2. You have to have an OBD2 scanner/code reader to get codes on your Tahoe. Some parts stores will pull trouble codes for free in the hopes of selling something. I even think Autozone includes a coder reader in their loan a tool thing.
    If you want to DIY, I've seen OBD-2 code readers for as little as $50 on up to whatever you want to pay.
    When pulling codes, remember that a trouble code by itself does not constitute a thorough diagnosis. A trouble code tells you where to begin the diagnosis.
  6. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Smells like trouble

Rotten egg smell is being caused by raw fuel burning in the catalytic converter. A little odor at startup or at idle is OK, but otherwise not good for the converter and usually sign of trouble upstream of the cat.

One thing temperature measurements will tell you, however, is if the converter is working too hard. An infrared noncontact pyrometer or a temperature probe will tell you if the converter is running unusually or dangerously hot. If the converter outlet temperature is 200 or more degrees higher then the inlet temperature, it means the engine is running rich and there's a lot of CO in the exhaust that needs to be burned. A rich fuel mixture will often produce a "rotten egg" odor in the exhaust (the smell is hydrogen sulfide). Underlying problems may include an engine management system that is not going into closed loop (check the coolant and oxygen sensors, or for a thermostat stick in the open position), plugged PCV valve, or excessive fuel pressure (bad fuel regulator). High CO levels in the exhaust can also be caused by an inoperative air pump system.
    1 person likes this.
  7. Cableguy

Nice explanation...Your my daddy!
  8. smokestack

smokestack New Member

How about the software for laptops? Anyone here use it? I know its out there somewhere. Im sure most are more than i want to pay though.....but i know theres gotta be someone on here that uses it :great:
  9. 84fiero123

84fiero123 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

People on my Fiero forum have been doing that for a while, you need an adapter plug to go from the OBD plug then to a USB plug in your lap top.

Then a program to read the codes. Not sure what the guys have been using for the program, I can try and find the thread if you are really interested.
  10. KeithC

KeithC New Member

Check out CarChip from DAVIS Instruments in California. Adapter, software and cables included.
    Keith