02 1500 trans Issue?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Josh02, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Josh02

Josh02 New Member

I have ano 02 1500 with 78k miles and this is the second time the truck has had a mishap when I'm driving it. The trans will feel like it just goes out when I'm driving and when I hit the gas I hear a humming but no accelerating. And when I come to a stop then go to hit the gas, it will either not catch the gear or slowly move and then go for a second then slip again. But if I turn truck off and back on, then it will drive fine.

Trans fluid is good. Had it looked over the first time but mechanic could not replicate the problem so nothing was done. I went another 1000 miles after the first time and tonight it did it again.

It will also shift hard on the first shift from a stop(sometimes).

Any ideas would be great!

2. Josh02

Josh02 New Member

Also truck is a 5.3l z71 package and everything is stock.

3. j cat

j cat Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

b
    Bring the truck to a tranny shop . have them do the pressure testing. the fluid that was in this vehicle when manufactured was dexron III. this fluid requires replacing every 20K miles . If the transmission is damaged make sure the transmission shop only uses dexronVI. this is NOW the GM approved fluid to use .. GM does not allow dexron III to be used any more .

4. Josh02

Josh02 New Member

Will do

5. 02Rado373

02Rado373 New Member

I used to have a car that did the same thing... turned out my alternator was tripping something in the tranny, I'd have to turn the car off and on sometimes more then once to get it to function properly... I replaced the alternator and didn't have anymore issues till the head gasket blew

6. Josh02

Josh02 New Member

Took truck to trans shop. He wants to rebuild/upgrade the trans to make it more durable. He wants 3300 to do whole job.

7. j cat

j cat Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

that is way tooooo much ... go to another shop .. $1500 is about right with a 0ne year warranty.

also do not mention you brought to another shop.. have them test it on pressure , see if the results are the same or ????

8. Josh02

Josh02 New Member

I have another shop that I want to check out and see what they have to say. Hopefully is more budget friendly.