1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

02 Avalanche ABS issue

Discussion in 'Chevy Avalanche Forum (Escalade EXT)' started by ArtO, Jul 10, 2014.

1. ArtO

ArtO New Member

I have a 02 Avalanche that the ABS activates for no apparent reason. Sometimes it will drive fine for 10-15 stops and then BAM ABS kicks in for a few stops and then its back to normal again. No dash lights have come on. Is this a sensor problem ?? If so, how do I know which one ??
    I recently put a new caliper on the drivers side front, the old one decided to seize up. Could it be related to this ??
    Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Art
  2. poncho62

poncho62 Member 100 Posts

Its likely a sensor problem......Also, since the sensor is in the wheel bearing, chances are the wheel bearing is crapping out also. Any humming coming from the front wheel bearings?
  3. ArtO

ArtO New Member

no sounds coming from the wheel bearings. i was figuring on a sensor. How do I tell which one it is ??
  4. poncho62

poncho62 Member 100 Posts

I believe that a scanner that reads ABS codes should tell you....My cheapo scanner doesnt, probably not too expensive for a tech to hook one up
  5. thzpcs

thzpcs Member

How much pressure are you applying to the pedal to get the ABS to engage? If it's just doing it randomly, then it's definitely an issue with the sensors.
  6. ArtO

ArtO New Member

Pretty much the same pressure on the pedal every time. It happens randomly at stop signs, in parking lots, sometimes just hitting the pedal lightly to slow down, not even stopping. I've just been driving the Silverado instead. Not sure when I'll have time to take it somewhere with a scanner. Working 2 jobs really sucks !!!
  7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

A scanner that reads abs codes will not help you unless the ABS light is on. You need a scan tool that is capable of reading sensor output or even graph the output.
  8. ArtO

ArtO New Member

I put a new hub on last weekend and all is better. The truck now stops like its supposed to without the ABS kicking in. Thank you, to all, for the input & ideas.
  9. sbower1976

sbower1976 Member

what was wrong with the old hub ?