02 GMC sierra with salvage title a good deal???

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by lugnutal, Sep 16, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. lugnutal

lugnutal New Member

So i found i nice truck. It's a GMC Sierra regular cab with a stepside bed, 5.3 V8, power locks but manual windows, automatic, with a bed cover. Truck looks good in the pics i've seen so far. The guy is supposed to send me some more pics today. It's got a 160,000 miles on it and he says it runs great and is asking $6000 or best offer. My hold up is the salvage title. I've had salvage titles before with no problems but i'm just a little hesitant about this one. What do you guys think? Is it a good deal? The guys says its a salvage title because it was stolen and was not wrecked.
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have not seen salvage titles on vehicles unless the damage to it was more than the insurance company says that it is worth. I doubt that just being stolen would cause more than $5000 or $6000 in damage. That price also seems pretty high (at least in my area) for an 2002 reg cab with that many miles. I sold my very clean fully loaded 2002 ext cab for slightly more than that 3 years ago and that was well above the market value then.
  3. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Unless its was rebuilt after being totaled. I have a buddy who buys totaled trucks for cheap and completely rebuilds them and sells the for higher prices because the trucks are pretty much new.
  4. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

so what we have is a vehicle that he says was stolen . now it has a salvage title. this was not in any accident or had any other mechanical damage.

what you have to do is have the vin# and get a vehicle history report.

this may be a hurricane sandy flood vehicle.

it was reported that these vehicles are being sold with tittles from Oregon etc...
  5. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

If you know a police officer you might be able to get them to run the VIN to make sure.
  6. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 New Member 100 Posts

Not getting into all the reasons for the salvage.....$6k for an '02 single cab LS with 160K miles doesn't seem like a great deal to me. A year-and-a-half ago, I bought my '01 1500, 4x4, extended cab, sportside, LT fully loaded with 168K, price of $4800. And, I have seen equally good or better deals since. If a vehicle has a salvage, you should not pay more that 75% of wholesale (trade in) price, regardless. Few people will want to buy it when you are ready to sell it. Just my .02 worth....