1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

02 Silverado 1500 wont start occasionally

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by charriman, May 13, 2011.

1. charriman

charriman New Member

Hi, New guy here.
    I'm having an intermittent problem with my 02 Silverado. Every so often, when i go to start my truck, it wont turn over. It's not the battery since when you turn the key to acc or on, all of the lights, radio etc come on. When you turn the key to the start position, all of the dash lights turn off as they should but the engine wont start. There is no sound coming from the starter at all. Eventually, it does start after repeated attempts. Ive checked the battery connections and everything checks out there. The truck does have one of those "silencer" security systems that you have to plug in an electric chip/keyfob into a slot under the instrument panel to be able to start it. Actually, the problem is similar to when you try to start it without that keyfob inserted. Does anyone have any idea as to what could be causing it?
    Thanks in advance,
    Chad
  2. rhill20

rhill20 New Member

It sounds like it could be the neutral switch, if you "jiggle" the gear shift around does that make a difference? If so, it's the neutral switch.
    I've also seen people actually hit the side of the starter with a wrench or screwdriver, I know that sounds odd, but it worked. If this is the case, you probably need a new starter.

However, I have a guy that works for me that has a security system on his truck and it has done the same thing to him. It was something to do with the security system, he just had it disconnected.
  3. charriman

charriman New Member

Thanks! I was considering that it could be the security system...
  4. Velocity1

Velocity1 Rockstar

I had the same problem with my '02 Silverado only mine wouldn't even turn over when you keyed the ignition. Turned out it was a dead spot in the factory OEM starter. Replaced the starter, problem solved. Lately, if I don't key the ignition to ACC for a few seconds and let the pump build pressure at the injectors, it will long crank once in a while before it starts. I too had looked at and suspected the neutral switch. Disconnected, cleaned and re-greased with dielectric and all is well..Hope this helps.