1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

02 silverado 6.0 internal ticking sound

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by geo1, Mar 7, 2013.

1. geo1

geo1 Member

Greetings,have heard this sound on other 6.0's,tried ear to dowel to motor,cannot isolate noise enough to diagnose.Any explanations please

- - - Updated - - -

add to;when hot at idle,like clockwork.Have friends frown on chevy 6.0 compared to other trucks i.e. other makes
  2. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts

these engines most have no problems up to 225,ooo mi. synthetic oils and good filters these engine are solid performers at this year model engine. with any engine even if it is a good design the oil used and the way it is operated and serviced will determine the useful life. most use 50% dexcool which I found insufficent . 65 % dexcool with distilled water works best.

- - - Updated - - -

this engine has lifters that are adjusted by these valves that hold oil. if the oil is with carbon they leak then you get the lifter tick sounds. could also be coolant entering the engine oil damaging these lifter valves from doing there job, ....

get some marvel mystery oil. add 5 OZ max to the engine oil. after a few mile s the sound should reduce or be gone. if so this would indicate the the oil used is not being replaced at the proper time. could be poor filter selection as well.
  3. geo1

geo1 Member

thanks,finally found on similar threads,thought is a out of adjustment roller rocker,to me it has to be just one(length of time between tick)
  4. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts

it can happen just one gets mucked up. try the marvel oil but only the amount I stated. I have no idea how much gunk your engine has in it. this product cleans and lubricates the internal engine parts , BUT it is NO solvent ! you use this to slowly remove the carbon and sludge. as the oil gets dirty you replace the oil/filter . after a period of cycles you will have a clean engine internally and the engine will quiet down. now if the cam is worn down then these valves can only adjust so much .
  5. geo1

geo1 Member

good idea,never heard a bad thing about marvel,will try,thanks,geo1

- - - Updated - - -

have to add,took truck to florida some time back,my proactive maintenance made me change the oil cooler lines,i made a new leak!allen plug on block that bolts to motor started spewing,had no way to fix enroute so the oil add. was 2 qts.to fillup.since then the oil is like a younger model of itself.