02 Silverado Reverse Chatter

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by paulmeisterpk, Dec 9, 2008.

1. paulmeisterpk

paulmeisterpk New Member

Have an 02 Silverado 4x4 with a 4.3L V-6.

Recently, reverse is slow to engage, and when I'm trying to back up my boat, or anything that weighs a bit, it feels like the transmission is chattering or the clutches are slipping.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am going to tear the transmission apart, and have a master overhaul kit ready, but I am just curious if it could be a failure in any of the hard/mechanical parts of the transmission.

Thanks,
    Paul

2. retired

retired Rockstar 100 Posts

Who knows what kind of hard parts may be worn when you tare it down.

3. npverhey1

npverhey1 Rockstar

might be too much stress for the enigine? how much does your boat weigh?

4. paulmeisterpk

paulmeisterpk New Member

I'm not sure, its a Skeeter bass boat.

I was just curious if there was a big problem with these transmissions going into reverse with hesitation or chattering.

5. npverhey1

npverhey1 Rockstar

so the loads your towing arent too heavy then?

6. paulmeisterpk

paulmeisterpk New Member

No, I have hauled bigger boats and large trailers in the past though. But I don't have to be for it to chatter now.

By the way, the truck has 78,000 miles on it.

I was told by the lady from Jasper transmissions that there is some sort of switch that I should order because many people have trouble removing it when taking out the transmission. She said it normally costs around $30. She said that some people can manage to get it out if they heat it up. Any idea on what the switch is called that she is talking about?

7. npverhey1

npverhey1 Rockstar

not a clue, sorry

8. CoolAirVw

CoolAirVw New Member

Range sensor or neutral switch. The connectors have a substance on them that melts and seems to glue the plug in's into the sensor.

We usually just leave the sensor plugged in and remove the bolt behind the connectors with a open ended wrench, then pull the sensor away from the trans and let it hang from the harness. Trying to unplug it may break the sensor. We've had some success with heating the connectors to get them unplugged, but its better to just not try.

9. paulmeisterpk

paulmeisterpk New Member

Thank you sir! That was the info I was looking for!