1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

02 Silverado starting/ running problems

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by greensilverado, Feb 2, 2009.

Random Gallery Photos

1. greensilverado

greensilverado New Member

Hello all. I have a 02 Silverado 5.3L that has a terrible time starting in cold to freezing weather. On very cold nights the battery will drain almost completely with all accessories unplugged. I will jump the truck and it still may take up to 3-4 times cranking to get it to turn over. When it does, it stumbles and I need to give it gas to keep it going. Once I am going 1 of 2 things happen until the truck gets warm. 1: At a stop light the voltmeter drops below 10V and the engine stalls. OR 2: The engine idles very high especially in gear and makes it hard to stop because its pulling. I have replaced the battery and the altenator and still have these problems. I am assuming that I have a drain somewhere causing the battery to drain overnight but this does not explain the other problems. Sorry so long... any help is appreciated. Thanks!
  2. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I would have the system tested, they can do a pretty good job pinpointing it, also check all the lines and make sue they arent corroded, even a little bit of corrosion on the starter wire will make it seem like its the battery, my sunbird did this alot and it took me three batteries to finally figure out the starter cable was correded at the starter, that was a lot of wasted beer money in college
  3. greensilverado

Thanks i will check the starter wire. By the way... this problem fried an Optima red top battery. Brought it back to Advanced and they tested it. Apparently Optimas are not known for frying on their own.
  4. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Wow, thats not good, or cheap!
  5. greensilverado

checked all suggestions. problem is still there. HELP!
  6. JMoney02

JMoney02 New Member 100 Posts

First, where are you locate at? Does the truck park in doors? Has this started since adding the Optima battery? Any other features added before the problem? Because addressing the charging issue first will
    help maybe to correct your other issues. What does the turck do when it's warm, or did it do?

Jeff
  7. greensilverado

Hey thanks for the reply. Sorry I've been away. The truck is in New Hampshire. Stored outside. This problem has happened with 2 separate Optimas. I have added nothing before this started. Only thing different was that the truck sat idle for 6+ months while I was deployed. Came back and the problem was there. Shorted an optima. Thought it was the battery and replaced (this was August). Had no real problems until the weather got cold again. It seems to run a bit better when warm (and warmer temps) but there still is a problem. Thanks again.
  8. jlsparky7

jlsparky7 New Member

Im thinking it could be the coolant temp sensor with the weird idle but that doesnt explain the dead battery.

Double check all your wiring. Rats or something could have chewed the wire harness.
  9. Silverado2004

Silverado2004 New Member

The starter itself could be the reason for draining the battery if it wasn't started while sitting. And like was also suggested rats or mice could have got in and chewed on some of the wires, some are still hot even though the ignition is turned off. As for the ruff running and high idle at times that could be the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve, on a fuel injected engine this basically works a little like a choke would on a carb engine. and it is realitvely cheap, I replaced the one on my wifes Beretta for about $25.
  10. zachh1020

zachh1020 New Member 100 Posts

This happened to a 2004 Grand Prix GTP I had. They were living under the engine cover and chewed the engine wiring harness.