1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

02 Tahoe Leveling Kit/Shock Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by Vincennes02261897, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Vincennes02261897

Vincennes02261897 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Hey guys,

I'm looking at leveling out the 02 Tahoe. We have a grille guard and it makes the front sag even more than usual. I did a bit of product research and it looks like it will need a torsion key level. Furthermore, my understanding is that new shocks are required with most kits. The Readylift kit has shock extensions so that would be a good alternative to having to buy new shocks. So...

Do any of you have any experience with various leveling kits for this body style Tahoe? If not, do any of you have any knowledge about different kits and their strengths/ weaknesses? Also, will leveling the 2002 Tahoe require new shocks with a kit that does not have shock extenders?

Thanks.

P.S.- Here's the link to the Readylift leveling kit for the 2002 Tahoe.
    http://www.readylift.com/c-39-chevy...-1500-2000-2006-classic-2wd-4wd-6-lug-25.aspx
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I would go with the ReadyLift kit. If the shocks are the factory originals they are most likely worn out and need to be changed. I would get the ReadyLift with the shock extensions and then get stock replacement Bilsteins shocks.
  3. Vincennes02261897

That's a good idea actually. The vehicle only has 60,000 miles on it and the shocks were changed at about 40,000 miles (only because about 10,000 of those miles were at high speeds on horrible Guatemalan roads... they needed it). Nonetheless, I think some Bilstein shocks would do it well.
  4. Vincennes02261897

Is ReadyLift the only manufacturer that currently makes a leveling kit for an 02 Tahoe?
  5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Sorry, I have not looked at any other manufacture, maybe someone else out there can help.
  6. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

7. Lil_Red_Chevy

Lil_Red_Chevy Rockstar

8. Vincennes02261897

Cool. Thanks for the links, guys!
  9. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

You're welcome...is the Tahoe yours or are you helping someone out?
  10. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I've been touting the merits of the Pro-Comp torsion keys I had in my truck for a long time. Just so you know, they are the same as the Ready-Lift keys. As you can see in the pic it has the same 66-3000 part# that Ready-Lift uses and it's used in GMT800 trucks and SUV's. My keys didn't come with shock extensions, they are not needed, but if it comes with them you might as well use them. If you are going to replace the shocks I would get a longer shock and leave out the extension.(I know most shock manufactures offer shocks for lifted applications). You will notice a difference in the ride, I don't care what they advertise, you can't alter a suspension and not expect the ride to change. Having said that the ride is not bad in my opinion but it is definitely stiff enough to notice a difference, I thought it made the truck feel more stable and less floaty in the front. I would stay away from cheap E-Bay cast keys, with the increased pressure on them they could break, although it's unlikely why chance it, go with forged keys as they are much stronger.

[​IMG]