1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

02 tahoe starting issue

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by rickp, Nov 25, 2012.

1. rickp

rickp New Member

I've been having this issue for a while now but it's so intermittent that I can't figure it out so I'm looking for help. It seems to be a somewhat common issue with some.

Every now and then I turn the key and all I get is a click, dash light come on but no crank. Some times Ill turn the key a few times and it will start. Sometimes I wait 3 or 4 minutes and it will start. I've replaced the ign. and starter relays with no luck. I'm testing the battery tomorrow. I don't think it's the pass lock because the security lights not on.

After doing some research I came across info that it could be fuel related, but I have a question. If it is fuel pressure related would ight a click after I turn the key? Some times when I do have the issue the truck will start after about a second of holding the key in the run position. Until today I was thinking it was either a bad connection like a ground or corrosion somewhere, the starter solenoid or maybe the battery. I did replace the battery terminal connections that screw into the battery.
    Lso could it be the fuel pump? Would I get a click when I turn the key?
    Ptahnks

2. Kady

Kady Rockstar GMTC Chick 100 Posts

If it was a fuel issue, the truck wouldn't just click, it would still attempt to turn over. My guess would be the starter...

3. rickp

rickp New Member

I thought the same thing. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some sort of computer controlled thing that would cause what I described.

I keep coming across posts describing starting issues where the the truck does nothing when the key is turned and people keep talking about fuel pressure and the fuel pump.
    Since I was thinking what you stated I wanted to make sure something new wasn't happening.

thanks

4. Kady

Kady Rockstar GMTC Chick 100 Posts

Overnight, disconnect your battery. and reconnect it in the morning. See if the problem goes away. I'm thinking of it now, and my truck did that not too long ago. I unplugged the battery for a while, then plugged it in, and the truck started fine ever since...

- - - Updated - - -

It could be a body control computer problem...

5. rickp

rickp New Member

Thanks Kady.

Well I got the battery checked and it was fine. I spoke to the mechanic that looked at it and ironically enough years back he had a shop that worked on starters and electrical components and he told me, (based on my description) that it was more than likely the starter. He went into really describing how the starter and solenoid worked and it might be failing and doing what it was doing.
    I'm sure I wont describe it very well but in a nut shell, the starter has developed an uneven groove or spot that is binding. As a result its why the solenoid isn't providing enough amps to turn the starter. It's also the reason why when i jump the truck it starts. When i jump it there's more amperage to force the starter to push past that groove or added friction and start the truck. I'm sure I'm butchering the explanantion, but maybe those that understand how it works can understand what I'm saying.

I guess my next step is to replace the starter. At this point I'm still in the process of elimination with this but hopefully this will do it.

Either way, I'll let you know after I replace the starter.